PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Manta Rays

TGIF
01/04/2010, 09:41 AM
Hi my hubby and I are going to Hawaii in the fall. We're thinking we'll be staying in Kona for half the trip and then may Kauai for the rest of the trip.

I LOVE manta rays and it has been my dream to see them in the wild. Will we have any luck in these areas? We'll be snorkeling mostly but are also looking into getting our SCUBA certification before going.

Also any tips on good snorkel areas?

thanks!

karlwhubbard
01/06/2010, 01:40 PM
I think it was Kona, Big Island. Outfits there take you maybe 100 yards off shore with flashlights at twenty feet. You simply dive to the bottom and form a circle with your flash lights popinting up. After about 10-15 minutes, enough plankton have been attracted by the lights, then the Mantas follow. Some are huge and they will pass right over you, close enough to touch.

Of course they video tape each dive. I would have purchased one but he would not let me purchase a digital copy. That was 2003. Hope things have improved.

fishybudguy
01/06/2010, 04:45 PM
kaui is a must.........go to tunnels on the north shore you wont be dissapointed ,have fun we are going to maui for a change this may

mayjong
01/07/2010, 02:54 PM
yep, you can do the Kona Manta dive or snorkle. both are at night... multiple providers...
the divers sit in a circle on the bottom,(lights pointed up) the snorklers float in a circle on the surface(lights pointed down) and the mantas cruise the middle. i have done both, i actually enjoyed the snorkle more than the dive.
generally-snorkling is really good (both islands) but diving is GREAT... have fun!