PDA

View Full Version : Recommended marine emergency kit

Sk8r
01/04/2010, 07:10 PM
Nothing worse than being caught short---especially on a holiday weekend.
I've been at this some few years: here's what I recommend you have on hand...in order of price/versus/benefit/likelihood of need.

1. enough salt to replace 50% of the water in your tank. You never know when you will have an accident.
2. carbon and bags or ladies kneehigh nylons: carbon can remove ammonia, among many other things, and save your tank. When something bad has happened, you will not go wrong running carbon as a first try at fixing it.
3. alkalinity test: do this weekly: your reading should be between 8.3 and 9.3. IMHO, this is an important test for all tanks, FOWLR to reef.
4. test strips for ammonia/nitrate
5. a bottle of Amquel or equivalent. Read the instructions, and DON't have to use this stuff, but have it just in case. I use it in the kitchen, when I've gotten bleach on my hands. It's good for that.
6. a stack of old towels: when you want them, you will WANT them!
7. enough polystyrene 5 g paintbuckets to replace half the water in your tank.
8. a mixing pump: the Maxijet 1200 is good.
9. some Gutterguard (Lowe's) or some plastic needlepoint canvas (hobby store) AND plastic sewing thread or fishing line.
10. a sheet of white lighting grid/eggcrate/Lowe's lighting.
11. a spare thermometer for a fast crosscheck (I stick mine onto the sump).
12. spare hose of every diameter. Couplers (hose barbs) for these sizes: no reefer ever has too many varieties of hose.
13. if you can possibly afford it/deploy it---a backup generator; or at very least, a plan. I have kept fish alive for 3 days with a hand squeeze bulb...this is how basic you can get if you are stuck for a solution. And do NOT over-stock your tank: you never know when ice or wind is going to hand you an 8-hour power-out, or worse.
14. Also, if you can possibly afford it, a spare main pump. Your tank can live without lights for a week, easy; without a skimmer for a week, easy; but without the main pump, you are in increasing trouble after a few hours.

NirvanaFan
01/04/2010, 07:24 PM
Excellent advice. The 5 gallon buckets are always good to have.

My one suggestion... A battery powered air pump is also a good, cheap thing to have. In case of a power outage, you can still keep tank water moving a little to get some gas exchange.

Russter
01/04/2010, 07:57 PM
Great list! I need to head out and get a few things.

loosecannon
01/05/2010, 12:57 PM
I've been at this some few years: here's what I recommend you have on hand...in order of price/versus/benefit/likelihood of need.

1. enough salt to replace 50% of the water in your tank. You never know when you will have an accident.
2. carbon and bags or ladies kneehigh nylons: carbon can remove ammonia, among many other things, and save your tank. When something bad has happened, you will not go wrong running carbon as a first try at fixing it.
3. alkalinity test: do this weekly: your reading should be between 8.3 and 9.3. IMHO, this is an important test for all tanks, FOWLR to reef.
5. a bottle of Amquel or equivalent. Read the instructions, and DON't have to use this stuff, but have it just in case. I use it in the kitchen, when I've gotten bleach on my hands. It's good for that.
9. some Gutterguard (Lowe's) or some plastic needlepoint canvas (hobby store) AND plastic sewing thread or fishing line.
12. spare hose of every diameter. Couplers (hose barbs) for these sizes: no reefer ever has too many varieties of hose.
13. if you can possibly afford it/deploy it---a backup generator; or at very least, a plan. I have kept fish alive for 3 days with a hand squeeze bulb...this is how basic you can get if you are stuck for a solution. And do NOT over-stock your tank: you never know when ice or wind is going to hand you an 8-hour power-out, or worse.
14. Also, if you can possibly afford it, a spare main pump. Your tank can live without lights for a week, easy; without a skimmer for a week, easy; but without the main pump, you are in increasing trouble after a few hours.Or you can just run a line from your nearest public aquarium.:reading:

MrsHaggis
01/05/2010, 05:06 PM
Towels and towels and more towels......
Spare heater in case one breaks......

Indymann99
01/05/2010, 05:10 PM
duct tape :lmao:

tgray3
01/05/2010, 05:16 PM
A tube of weld-on.

I got a crack in my skimmer body (my fault. dropped it while cleaning) after all the stores closed and the tube of weld-on 16 i had saved me.

Boundless
01/05/2010, 06:04 PM
Sk8r how bout a list of recommended items to fight off diseases of various kinds

bertoni
01/05/2010, 06:56 PM
Medication list for me (as best as I can remember offhand):

Praziquantel in some form (PraziPro is fine)
Cupramine (better than the other copper medications)
Metronidazole
SeaChem coral dip (there are a lot of products like this)
Flatworm Exit (for dips on new corals)

loosecannon
01/05/2010, 08:06 PM
Sk8r how bout a list of recommended items to fight off diseases of various kindscondum:inlove:

Boundless
01/05/2010, 10:14 PM
Medication list for me (as best as I can remember offhand):

Praziquantel in some form (PraziPro is fine)
Cupramine (better than the other copper medications)
Metronidazole
SeaChem coral dip (there are a lot of products like this)
Flatworm Exit (for dips on new corals)

Thanks for the items listed I will make sure to assemble this kit when I finish assembling my tank!:beer:

But one question for Cupramine does it have copper in it or does it work better than most medicine?

Boundless
01/05/2010, 10:15 PM
condum:inlove:

Lol Fish wise . :smokin:

alleykat81
01/05/2010, 10:33 PM
What's the gutterguard and fishing line for?

lordofthereef
01/05/2010, 10:38 PM
What are you referring to as the hand squeeze bulb? Do you mean you were hand circulating the water with something like a turkey baster?

Gilbert46
01/06/2010, 01:03 AM
how bout a generator...

patsfan1130
01/06/2010, 06:52 AM
Great advice! I also like to keep plenty of zip ties handy and always recommend having some extra PH available. IMO a spare return pump is key as well. I've had many o' return pump crap out on me late at night, weekends & holidays. A copper med is always crucial to have as well.

lordofthereef
01/06/2010, 10:05 AM
how bout a generator...

Generator is on the list as an "if affordable" however I would add it as a must, especially if you live in an area where there are likely power outages (which honestly is nearly everywhere in the US LOL.

Sk8r
01/06/2010, 10:27 AM
Lol: the hand-bulb was a fistsized air bladder on a hose scaled down with hose-adapter to an airline to an aerator. And my hand hurt. I took to doing it with my foot. I was a mess, but the fish survived.

The fishing line is to 'stitch' things together, anything with holes in it: you can cut gutter guard or needlepoint canvas with a scissors to make an antijump barrier, or to screen an opening; you can stitch a box together of eggcrate, etc.

Actually I don't keep any meds at all on hand, because I have a stable fish population that doesn't spontaneously get sick. I've never medicated a marine fish in my entire 40 plus year career: some dumb luck, careful fish selection (nice strong body, no filmy eyes, fin ends, etc), careful water quality, and tending to get all my fish at once, get them in and healthy, and not bring new fish into a well-running tank if I can at all avoid it. I've lost fish to predation, my stupidity, accidents and old age, but disease has just never been a problem for me.

Michael
01/06/2010, 10:37 AM

14. Also, if you can possibly afford it, a spare main pump. Your tank can live without lights for a week, easy; without a skimmer for a week, easy; but without the main pump, you are in increasing trouble after a few hours.

hey sk8r, its fantasic to see you back here on the new to the hobby posting up these threads again, personally, ive missed your input, just need sister the capn and the man wk to come back regulary as well, i hardly reconise the forum at the moment, welcome back

Sk8r
01/06/2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks! Life intervened---but I'm glad to be back!

bertoni
01/06/2010, 05:47 PM
Cupramine is a form of copper, but it's an organically-bound copper that's easier on the fish.

I should have recommended getting the SeaChem copper test to go with the Cupramine. Fairly pointless to have copper with no way to measure the concentration. :)

Boundless
01/06/2010, 08:08 PM
Cupramine is a form of copper, but it's an organically-bound copper that's easier on the fish.

I should have recommended getting the SeaChem copper test to go with the Cupramine. Fairly pointless to have copper with no way to measure the concentration. :)

Thanks for the info on Cupramine and the suggestion!:bounce3:

seadub1
01/06/2010, 09:47 PM
Thank you yet again! Your lists are very helpful! Keep em' comin'!

lordofthereef
01/06/2010, 10:13 PM
Lol: the hand-bulb was a fistsized air bladder on a hose scaled down with hose-adapter to an airline to an aerator. And my hand hurt. I took to doing it with my foot. I was a mess, but the fish survived.

Wow you either have a lot of money in fish or you really love them or both! Interesting method though :)

jherrin215
01/07/2010, 12:29 AM
sk8r I just want to tell you that you have some of the best posts that I have read on here. These are the kind of things that newbies such as myself need to know but don't think to ask. I've been a member on several forums but don't think I have ever seen anyone who would actually start threads just giving people great advice. I have learned tons, but usually because I asked!! Thanks!!

Sk8r
01/07/2010, 01:24 PM
You're very welcome. I've been at this a while...my first salt tank back in 65...and I enjoy the newbie forum---I problem-solve in my Other Life, but here, the problems actually have answers, and it's a pleasure to be able to deliver them.