PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove/kill these things!

rbaker
01/05/2010, 08:57 AM
My tank is slowly being over run by these Rhodactis Mushrooms. I like the way they look on the floor and the back of the reef, but they are slowly covering my liverock and choking out my corals. They're easy to remove from the glass with a razor blade, but I've had no luck getting them off of the rock. What is the best way to remove them?

Thanks!!!

http://ryansreef.com/Reefpics/1-2009/IMG_4677.jpg

http://ryansreef.com/Reefpics/1-2009/IMG_4671.jpg

http://ryansreef.com/Reefpics/1-2009/IMG_4655.jpg

llewoh05
01/05/2010, 09:01 AM
sorry for trolling but that is a freakin beautiful setup.

ChrisOz
01/05/2010, 09:04 AM
I think that's the highest coral to total area ratio I've ever seen. Wow!

As for the mushrooms: I've heardeverything fro ma credit card slid under the foot (hard on rock) to blasting them with a turkey baster... then pulling them off works.

Good Luck, I think the main ingredient will be elbow grease.

mikersx02
01/05/2010, 09:39 AM
This is the solution:

Remove the rock from the tank. Get a wood chisel and a hammer and pick them off like that. ALWAYS works for me.

Frick-n-Frags
01/05/2010, 09:46 AM
looking good. is that a "fuzzy" up in the middle back there?

pisces4u
01/05/2010, 10:24 AM
Definately one of the best softy tanks I've ever seen.

Have you tried a kalk paste injection similar to the glass anemone treatment?

You can cut them off the rock with a razor, but remaining tissue will eventually re-grow.

Also, you can try pointing a strong powerhead directly at the mushrooms and they will release from the rock between a couple hours and a day or so depending on how strong the flow is.

JeF4y
01/05/2010, 10:34 AM
sorry for trolling but that is a freakin beautiful setup.

+1 :beer:

Whisperer
01/05/2010, 10:41 AM
Whatever you do, DO NOT kill those rhodactis inside the tank or risk a total annihalation of the inhabitants. They are very toxic when they decay.

rbaker
01/05/2010, 05:09 PM
looking good. is that a "fuzzy" up in the middle back there?
Yes Sir... :D

rbaker
01/05/2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone...

Has anyone actually tried to kill them with kalk paste?

AgentSPS
01/05/2010, 05:13 PM
I just cleared several large pieces of rock and it was not easy/clean! manual scraping using a dental pick is how I did it. Most won't come off in one piece but they are very hearty and will recover quickly. Use surgical gloves as the smell on your fingers is nausiating!

Toadally
01/05/2010, 05:23 PM
That's why I steer clear of those corals. They are beatiful but will tank over your tank in no time.

cincyreefer1
01/05/2010, 05:24 PM
awesome tank wow

atreyu917
01/05/2010, 05:29 PM
I'd be interested in the answers. I got some teal palys taking over.

rbaker
01/07/2010, 10:40 PM
I'm going to try the powerhead trick this weekend. We'll see what happens...

jcjule
01/07/2010, 11:03 PM
The easiest way....
ship me the rock and i'll send you the replacement (brand new)

jbird69
01/07/2010, 11:10 PM
your fish collection is fantastic!

Salamander
01/08/2010, 01:39 AM
Am I blind or is it just late? I don't see the rhodactis you're speaking of. I see what appears to be anthelia or xenia all over but not rhodactis.

For shrooms and palythoa the best solution I've found (after trying everything) is Aiptasia X. I don't like to promote a single product but its all that's worked for me. Might take a few applications but its been working.

BTW - Nice tank!

Flipper62
01/08/2010, 02:07 AM
Has anyone actually tried to kill them with kalk paste?

rbaker,

A few years ago ( 6 or 7 ) I added a rock with them on it. It looked great in the LFS tank........NEVER AGAIN.

I tried the kalk, it didn't work for me. I also tried the power head, that seamed to make them shrivel up. Then I was able to scrape a few of them off. But I guess I didn't get the complete foot off, and a few grew back. The last result was to get the rock out of the tank.

Hope that helps........Happy Reefin.........:thumbsup:

bobparker
01/08/2010, 04:58 AM
wow..beautiful tank.....keep the mind the damage the will cause if they start decaying. the powerhead trick is probably your best and safest option. good luck

rbaker
01/08/2010, 03:25 PM
The easiest way....
ship me the rock and i'll send you the replacement (brand new)

LOL!!

your fish collection is fantastic!
Thanks!!

Am I blind or is it just late? I don't see the rhodactis you're speaking of. I see what appears to be anthelia or xenia all over but not rhodactis.

For shrooms and palythoa the best solution I've found (after trying everything) is Aiptasia X. I don't like to promote a single product but its all that's worked for me. Might take a few applications but its been working.

BTW - Nice tank!
The Xenia is on the glass and the Rhodactis is on the rocks...

rbaker,

A few years ago ( 6 or 7 ) I added a rock with them on it. It looked great in the LFS tank........NEVER AGAIN.

I tried the kalk, it didn't work for me. I also tried the power head, that seamed to make them shrivel up. Then I was able to scrape a few of them off. But I guess I didn't get the complete foot off, and a few grew back. The last result was to get the rock out of the tank.

Hope that helps........Happy Reefin.........:thumbsup:Unfortunately, they've spread to most of the rock and are intertwined with the corals.

wow..beautiful tank.....keep the mind the damage the will cause if they start decaying. the powerhead trick is probably your best and safest option. good luckThanks! I'm going to start blasting on Sunday. We'll see what happens...

seafansar
01/08/2010, 03:42 PM
Oh wow! Your tank is beautiful! That really sucks. Those things look like they are covering every inch possible! I've tried using Aiptasia X on a mushroom and it just grew back. maybe you have to do it multiple times before it finally works. I have a feeling you're just going to have to scrape each one off or live with them. Good luck!

lordofthereef
01/08/2010, 04:26 PM
I would personally just slice them off the rock as close the the base as I could and then scrub what is left of it really well with a toothbrush head.

smatter
01/08/2010, 05:01 PM
I used a wire brush attached to some small diameter flexible tubing to get rid of them. Start a siphon and scrub them off. I miss the days of LPS and softies before SPS were chic. I miss all the texture and movement.

spleify
01/08/2010, 05:25 PM
I've had success using a syring and needle, and injecting them with boiling vinegar. You have quite a few there so it may take some time to eradicate all of them. Some will be disolved in one injection, some may take two, or even three injections.

This is what has worked for me, and how I kill mine.

zoohoot
01/08/2010, 06:24 PM
I miss the days of LPS and softies before SPS were chic. I miss all the texture and movement.

+1. That tank is awesome!

Ritten
01/08/2010, 06:30 PM
I've had success using a syring and needle, and injecting them with boiling vinegar. You have quite a few there so it may take some time to eradicate all of them. Some will be disolved in one injection, some may take two, or even three injections.

This is what has worked for me, and how I kill mine.

Spleify, do you get a lot of slime and die off irritating your other corals with that method?

Sheol
01/09/2010, 07:29 PM
Well, my tank melt down actually SOLVED that problem. Unfortunately, it took most everything else with it. I have one or two survivors. Also, a few discosoma 'shrooms ( the watermelon striped variety). I do sorta like those, but they will be culled from now on. Corallimorpharians will take over your ENTIRE tank. Believe it!

Matthew

cdbias2
01/09/2010, 07:54 PM
I had about 5 of those and I put small rocks up against them and up a little higher. After about a month, they just climbed on top of the higher rock and then I removed them to the LFS for credit.

paolellawp
02/10/2010, 01:08 AM
WOW!! that tank is sweet!! love the fish too. how old is the tank? looks like you have had it a while

Sheol
02/10/2010, 06:39 PM
My heater malfunction got mine. Unfortunately, they took most everything else with them..
Watching the one survivor closely. He tries to multiply & out comes the razor.
Actually, I'll take him to the fishstore in Arlington & trade for something..

Matthew

JamesJR
02/10/2010, 07:14 PM
I think your growth is too extensive to make the injection practical. I read in Coral magazine that rhodactis can completely choke out reefs in the wild. I think you should probably take out the rock and swap them or cook them for a few months.