PDA

View Full Version : Clown Diet

stevetcg
01/05/2010, 09:22 AM
I have a pair of Occs and a Tom (separate tank). They are all happy and healthy and the Occs are bonded. My concern is their diet. The ONLY thing they will eat is pellets. They eat them with gusto and all early wait in their designated feeding spots when I approach.

Should I be concerned? Can you recommend steps to get them to take frozen mysis if necessary? Should I try flake?

Advice is appreciated. They seem healthy but I always read variety and I want my clowns to be as healthy and happy as possible!

Shootcat
01/05/2010, 11:43 AM
I would start giving them frozen mysis at the same time as pellets, so they get the idea its food and they should eat it. Slowly take them off the pellets and only feed mysis. If that doesn't work you can start with frozen brine to get them used to frozen stuff, then move to mysis since the brine isn't that nutritious! Also you can try and find Rod's food, my clown goes nuts for that stuff.

I tend to toss in some pellets in the AM and feed them frozen at night. Also if you put some other fish in there that eat mysyis they should get the idea from those fish!

NirvanaFan
01/05/2010, 11:54 AM
Variety is the spice of life. I feed my clowns a mix of frozen shrimp, squid, clams, tuna, scallops, and other seafood. They also get formula 1 and 2 pellets, and the occasional treat of baby brine shrimp.

If they are hungry enough, they will eat pretty much anything.