PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring a tank remotely

FortyFour
01/06/2010, 06:01 AM
I don't really know where to begin with this one. I want to learn all about any options available to someone who desires to monitor a tank when they are away from home. I am thinking along the lines of prevention and enjoyment. I am not an expert on the matter. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

It seems that the most practical (and affordable) solution for "remote monitoring" is setting up a webcam. Depending on the camera, one could be able to:

A) View livestock and their behavior
B) View/listen to waterflow to confirm equipment is functioning (if camera has a built-in mic)

Seems intriguing to me. If one has a digital temp display within range of the camera's zoom, they could even check temperature i suppose.

Here are two interesting threads related to webcam use.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1761657&highlight=webcam

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760243

Some people have taken this a few miles further. I've seen iPhones and websites monitor (and control) everything from salinity to pH, and I find it fascinating to say the least.

Here is a link to a snapshot of Melev's iPhone app:

http://melevsreef.com/archives/2009_09_01_archive.html

(I do not know the guy personally, but he is obviously on top of his game!)

So here are two sides of the spectrum. Is there anything in between?

pmcadams
01/06/2010, 07:27 AM
Except for seeing catastrophic failure, I think a webcam would be pretty useless as a health monitor. Melev's system is the real deal, fairly expensive to implement, but if you want a true monitor, that's the way to go. You might be able to find a good deal on a less expensive or used controller and just set up a few vital sensors. Except for the fact that it's pretty cool, I'd put remote monitor system way down on the list. Auto top-off, power backup, calc reactor, etc., all come first IMO :)

lordofthereef
01/06/2010, 10:15 AM
Except for seeing catastrophic failure, I think a webcam would be pretty useless as a health monitor.

I second that. Anything you can see I feel like would be far more advanced than one would like. That said, if you have a computer near your tank or a spare computer to set up just for that reason, it would be better than nothing. What I don't see people's logic in is when they go out and buy "cheap" laptop for $300 and set something like this up when a NET capable controller would basically cost the same.

If you travel frequently I feel it to be a worthwhile addition to any system, if for no other reason than to give peace of mind while you are gone. If you don't travel much and the person caring for your tank while you are away is competent, then I don't feel it would be a huge deal to go without.

garzaci
01/06/2010, 11:11 AM
I disagree. If you have a webcam up and you can see your corals then that can be a good indicator. Your corals will tell you a lot about your water conditions just by how they are behaving.

FortyFour
01/06/2010, 02:24 PM
While a webcam definitely has its limitations, I'm not sure if I am ready to write it of completely. I came across a thread yesterday where someone lost all of their livestock because their breaker tripped while they were away for the weekend. Perhaps if they had a simple webcam, they could've noticed it sooner and called someone over to reset it.

I personally wouldn't need to measure all water parameters having only a FOWLR + some softies.

Carlos made a good point about being able to observe the behavior of corals. Although you couldn't get the precise measurements one might desire, you could get some vital indications.

I value peace of mind in this hobby.

Joe

FortyFour
01/06/2010, 02:30 PM
Except for seeing catastrophic failure, I think a webcam would be pretty useless as a health monitor. Melev's system is the real deal, fairly expensive to implement, but if you want a true monitor, that's the way to go. You might be able to find a good deal on a less expensive or used controller and just set up a few vital sensors. Except for the fact that it's pretty cool, I'd put remote monitor system way down on the list. Auto top-off, power backup, calc reactor, etc., all come first IMO :)

Do you know any examples of controllers that would do this?

Perhaps this would be for the aquariest who has everything. But with technology now and days, I am curious if it would be as expensive as one would think.

Joe

FortyFour
01/06/2010, 02:40 PM
I second that. Anything you can see I feel like would be far more advanced than one would like. That said, if you have a computer near your tank or a spare computer to set up just for that reason, it would be better than nothing. What I don't see people's logic in is when they go out and buy "cheap" laptop for $300 and set something like this up when a NET capable controller would basically cost the same.

People buying labtops for webcams? Or to monitor with a controller?

der_wille_zur_macht
01/06/2010, 02:52 PM
I am curious if it would be as expensive as one would think.

Joe

It doesn't have to be expensive at all. It really depends on your creativity and the time you're willing to invest, plus determining exactly what it is you want to be able to monitor remotely.

Many of the higher-end commercially available reef controllers (Apex, Profilux, etc.) have network capabilities, and most of these include a web server right on the box so you get some monitoring capability right out off the shelf. Sadly, many of these systems are expensive ($500+) and you're completely locked in to what the manufacturer designed into the system.

Meanwhile, there are people out there using generic $30 microcontrollers with $20 ethernet modules to publish a note to tweeter every time their toilet gets flushed:

http://hackaday.com/2009/05/05/twittering-toilet/

Clearly the functionality is vastly different, but it's 1/10th the price. It would be simple and cheap to have temperature and pH probes on an Arduino, connected to the web, providing similar functionality, but twittering once a minute with your tank's pH and temp - or whatever you wanted to see.

FortyFour
01/06/2010, 03:09 PM
It doesn't have to be expensive at all. It really depends on your creativity and the time you're willing to invest, plus determining exactly what it is you want to be able to monitor remotely.

Many of the higher-end commercially available reef controllers (Apex, Profilux, etc.) have network capabilities, and most of these include a web server right on the box so you get some monitoring capability right out off the shelf. Sadly, many of these systems are expensive ($500+) and you're completely locked in to what the manufacturer designed into the system.

Meanwhile, there are people out there using generic $30 microcontrollers with $20 ethernet modules to publish a note to tweeter every time their toilet gets flushed:

http://hackaday.com/2009/05/05/twittering-toilet/

Clearly the functionality is vastly different, but it's 1/10th the price. It would be simple and cheap to have temperature and pH probes on an Arduino, connected to the web, providing similar functionality, but twittering once a minute with your tank's pH and temp - or whatever you wanted to see.

Now THAT is interesting (and hilariously retarded at the same time). I am interested in both the top end controllers and the diy projects.

Using the Arduino seems like a great option for DIYers wanting this type of control. Thanks for that input. I want to look into it further.

I don't want to rule out the commercially available controllers as a cheap alternative being that there are some great deals to be had if you look hard enough.

Playa-1
01/06/2010, 08:26 PM
I would just find a good controller and run a web cam to your tank. You use the controller to get the info and have the ability to manipulate equipment remotely. The controller will also give you the ability to automate many functions. The Cam will be more of a feel good visual. They are cheap these days. I suspect that just about any of the higher end controllers would do. I know the Aquatronica will do it. A laptop and/or a a fancy cell phone and you will be in business. If I were on the road much, I would set mine up like that in a heartbeat.