PDA

View Full Version : Water change tips

phenom5
01/06/2010, 10:30 AM
I find that with any tank, it takes time to really get into a groove with your tank, including, or especially maintenance.

With my old tank, I had maintenance down, and if all I needed to do was a quick water change, I could be in and out in ~10mins once the water was ready.

On my new tank, I'm still trying to get into that groove. I was hoping to get in a quick water change last night, but it took far longer, and I ended up with far more water on the floor than I anticipated.

So what are your handy tips, or vital pieces of equipment that make water changes a breeze (or at least easier)?

Not some crazy expensive, automatic water change, "dialyseas" type device. I'd love to get one, but it's not in the cards atm. I'm looking for simple, but effective time savers.

I've heard of people using a shop-vac to clean out their sump. Seems like a good idea, so I may look into that. Gotta see how much water my shop-vac holds though.

Maybe this is something that can help out those that are new to the hobby, and some of the vets as well.

Holyreefer
01/06/2010, 11:22 AM
what i did was added a ball valve on my return line to my sump so all i have to do is turn the ball valve and the waters out into a container. And then the same container i make my new water and it ensures i take out the same amount im putting in.

i use a pump with an old python tube to get the water back in the tank and i do this faithfully on sundays so i change 17 gallons of water a week so roughly 68 gallons a month on a 285 gallon system

jubjub
01/06/2010, 11:28 AM
what i do is basically i have a 2 brute trashcans on wheels, one has mixed water in it, and the other for bad water, i have a maxi1200 with some tubeing from lowes.... basically to empty, just stick end with maxijet in tank and suck water out.......then put the maxi in the brute to pump water back in....

then the maxi to pump water into the toilet to dump....

bhammer
01/06/2010, 11:34 AM
I have a valve on my return lines that I open and water drains to the flower beds out front. At the same time, I have a pump pumping water into the other end of the tank, via a return line.

NirvanaFan
01/06/2010, 11:57 AM
I use a maxi-jet to pump water from the sump into a rubbermaid. Once I've gotten enough out, I put the pump in the rubbermaid with new water in and pump it into the sump. It's pretty quick, although I don't change water enough.