PDA

View Full Version : why is one more expensive?:hmm2:

855012 reefer
01/06/2010, 04:04 PM
i am thinking about puchasing a couple firefish from live aquaria. there are two types to pick from.

SW - Firefish, Indo Pacific $ 13.99
SW - Firefish, Coral Sea / Maldives $ 24.99

is the one from the coral sea more colorful? please lmk if you know the differance.
thanks

twiggyb
01/06/2010, 11:07 PM
Probably a deeper depth? I'm not too sure though, that's the only reason I know fish to be more expensive other than rarity, which sometimes has to do from them being so deep down

HOBrien
01/06/2010, 11:11 PM
Also the ones that are marked more are from a less collected place and are usually in better shape through out the whole shipping stuff from collector on.

Stumped
01/06/2010, 11:17 PM
Guessing the cost is merely a reflection of where they're collected. If you look at other fish on the LA site you will see there are other similar examples. Take a look at Convict tangs:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+737&pcatid=737

Anyway, as far as I know for red firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica) they should be the same coloration regardless of where they are collected.

Cantonesefish
01/07/2010, 02:59 AM
People don't like indo-pacific fish ;)

jubjub
01/07/2010, 10:43 AM
almost bet that they look slightly different, look at maldive lyretails vs normal lyretails...thats pretty much only evidence i have, although who knows.....

i also heard clarkii's from strange places are slightly different i have 2 wild caught clarkii's one is fully black and meeeean, other is mostly black with a yellow belly, thought i saw something on live aquaria about collection places.

Stumped
01/07/2010, 01:38 PM
almost bet that they look slightly different, look at maldive lyretails vs normal lyretails...thats pretty much only evidence i have, although who knows......

It's definitely possible. The only reason I doutbt it, is that the only firefish color morph I can think of is the Cook Islands Helfrich's variant:

http://gobiestogrizzlies.blogspot.com/2008/09/color-forms-of-nemateleotris-helfrichi.html

Ian
01/07/2010, 01:41 PM
Could be the cost of shipping to acquire the Coral Sea / Maldives varient, the amount of hands it passes through, etc...

Vili_Shark
01/07/2010, 03:17 PM
i am thinking about puchasing a couple firefish from live aquaria. there are two types to pick from.

SW - Firefish, Indo Pacific $ 13.99
SW - Firefish, Coral Sea / Maldives $ 24.99

is the one from the coral sea more colorful? please lmk if you know the differance.
thanks

Let's start from the simple reason that they costs more in Sri Lanka /Maldives, than in Indonesia Philipines.

Chiefsurfer
01/07/2010, 10:12 PM
Let's start from the simple reason that they costs more in Sri Lanka /Maldives, than in Indonesia Philipines.

yeah, but if there is no quality, rareness, or tempermant difference why would they carry both types? I can't imagine(and easily could be wrong) that in terms of a SW tank, anyone would complain about the cost difference of $10, considering total cost, and shipping costs over price as incentive to buy or not. However, one being more peaceful, or more colorful, or rarer species(that looks like such bad spelling), that I could see.

iFrag
01/07/2010, 10:53 PM
People don't like indo-pacific fish ;)

+1 not the best quality fish comes out of indo.

jubjub
01/07/2010, 10:55 PM
i was thinking about this some more today and i thought about something i read on marinecenter along with some other people stated....

Popular opinion is "Pacific Regals are bad", "Red Sea Regals are good".

which got me thinking maybe capturing techniques are better in different places or what not...

anbosu
01/08/2010, 11:21 AM
Some places they use cyanide for collection, some places they don't. Fish caught with cyanide are far more likely to die for no reason after a month or so in the tank.

JamesJR
01/08/2010, 12:05 PM
I think the price differences are because it costs more to ship fish from the maldives than the indo-pacific. I doubt the price is really dictated much by who collects them as these fish are probably worth less than 1 dollar to the collector. It is the shipping costs to the wholesalers that translate into the higher prices that we see. Any quality differnces in the fish are just incidental if you are only talking about price.

Ev's Reef
01/08/2010, 01:04 PM
I think the price differences are because it costs more to ship fish from the maldives than the indo-pacific. I doubt the price is really dictated much by who collects them as these fish are probably worth less than 1 dollar to the collector. It is the shipping costs to the wholesalers that translate into the higher prices that we see. Any quality differnces in the fish are just incidental if you are only talking about price.

I agree, shipping cost really is one of the biggest determination points of a cost of a fish.

anbosu
01/08/2010, 03:51 PM
Shipping matters, but if you have to net fish vs. using cyanide you aren't going to catch as many, which means there are fewer available, which typically will lead to an increase in price. Most people are willing pay a premium for Aussie or Red Sea vs. Indo Pacific fish due to the vast difference in collection methods. As a result, Aussie Tusks and other fish cost considerably more for essentially the same fish.

Vili_Shark
01/08/2010, 06:21 PM
+1 not the best quality fish comes out of indo.

Do you think that the best fish come out of Indo as indonesia?