PDA

View Full Version : Large tank water changes

tran383
01/06/2010, 04:54 PM
Wondering how most folks do their water changes on such large tanks? I currently have a 120 that I pump water from the display tank out and than pump new water back into the display tank.

Most people have their tanks stocked all the way to the top so I doubt people are draining from their display tanks. My sump doesn't have enough water for me to replace since half of it's the refugium. Or with such large tanks people don't even do water changes! :fish1:

LifeAquatic
01/06/2010, 06:55 PM
I pull 10 from the display and 15 from the sump. It is a 180 gallon display. 100 gallon sump with about 50-60 gallons of water in sump. New water is refilled in the sump only and pumped to the display tank.

LIReefer
01/06/2010, 06:55 PM
No! I think most of us do water changes. I have a 100gal sump and a 100gal fuge. I change out about 50 gal every other week and drain/fill it from my sump. I also think most of these large tanks have large sumps as well.

pclausen
01/06/2010, 10:51 PM
I got a 180 and a 150 that are supported via a 150 sump. To do a water change, I open a ball valve off the return line and dump 50g from the sump. I then open another valve to pump in 50g from my mixing tank back into the sump. Whole operation takes maybe 5 minutes and the water levels in the displays never drop.

sedor
01/06/2010, 10:58 PM
A good rule of thumb is to have a sump large enough to handle water changes suitable for your system. In a 120 I would say maybe 12 - 15 gallons a week would be ideal, which means you would have say a 40 breeder for a sump.

There was another thread the other day about draining water from the DT and a lot of people chimed in saying that they pull water from the DT and expose some coral to the air for 20 or 30 minutes at a time. There were pictures posted of natural reefs at low tide with the coral coming completely out of the water. So if you had to pull from the tank, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

dwdowney
01/06/2010, 11:27 PM
I have a vacume the sand in my tank which removes about 30-40 gals which i replace via pump from my mixing tank when I am done.

TYRYFIN
01/09/2010, 05:00 PM
I d a 35 gallon change twice a week. I have a a T in the line from the tank to the sump that is attached to the drain, a turn of a quarter turn valve dumps the water down the drain. An external pump attached to my mixing vat returns water to the 200 gallon sump

rydr119
01/10/2010, 09:50 AM
I drain form my DT with out any problems. I just use a large hose and drain into buckets so I know how much I am taking out. It only takes me about 30 minutes to drain and refill from start to finish. I tried draining from my sump but it was just to much of a hassle for my particular setup. I only use natural sea water to change with so its a little more work for me but I don't mind since I don't have to buy salt mix or use my RO water to make such a large amount of water.

serpentman
01/10/2010, 10:01 AM
Most large tanks that I am aware of all do water changes. Personally, I am a fan of several frequent small changes rather than a big change less frequently.

I do 40gal (~8%) PWC's weekly and on occasion will add a second change in the same week. I do so by draining half the water from my frag tank which holds about 90g. Several corals are exposed during this process which takes about 10-15min but it doesn't seem to bother anything.

aquasport24
01/10/2010, 12:03 PM
Just make sure to turn off your MH and just leave actinics on if drain from DT.Incase you take longer than planed.

treszoks
01/10/2010, 03:51 PM
How do you dispose of such large quantities of water?

rydr119
01/10/2010, 04:15 PM
I just dump it in my drive way lol

Kilgore
01/11/2010, 09:49 AM
I have 500 gallons total, and about 100 gallons in the sump, I just pull the water straight from the sump via siphon into the back yard (where it mostly flows under my house I think (pier and beam)). Then I refill from the 43g brute I use to mix the water in and I'm done!

reef2
01/11/2010, 10:00 AM
my sump is connected to my house main drain. i turn a couple valves and drain 40g in about 5 min. then i pump new water into the sump. i do this every other week on my 240g dt.

serpentman
01/11/2010, 10:50 AM
My old water goes down a floor drain that runs into the yard. Ironically, after dumping 40g per week, I have not noticed any dead vegetation.

theshiver
01/11/2010, 11:51 AM
Would a 10% weekly change still be necessary on a 600 with a 200 sump thanks

reef2
01/11/2010, 03:44 PM
My old water goes down a floor drain that runs into the yard. Ironically, after dumping 40g per week, I have not noticed any dead vegetation.

ur lucky. i used to drain it onto the grass now ive got a big dead patch:spin1: less lawn to cut i figure.

Crazy One
01/11/2010, 06:52 PM
ur lucky. i used to drain it onto the grass now ive got a big dead patch:spin1: less lawn to cut i figure.

That's great!!! I hate cutting grass too!!

tran383
01/11/2010, 07:00 PM
Any pictures of the drain outputs as part of the plumbing? Is it better to drain from return pump or naturally from the display tank? Unfortunately, everything has to be done under my display tank so I won't have the luxury of a fish room or basement. Right now a very long phyton hose works great but I figure I automate as much as I can. Thanks for all the suggestions.

va813
01/23/2010, 10:12 AM
i hate cutting grass

Lightsluvr
01/25/2010, 06:49 AM
Water goes into the sewer through a clean-out just outside the fish room.
These short videos show the process for a 60G dry hands water change:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/lightsluvr/th_Captured_file_012.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/lightsluvr/?action=view&current=Captured_file_012.flv)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/lightsluvr/th_Captured_file_013.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/lightsluvr/?action=view&current=Captured_file_013.flv)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/lightsluvr/th_Captured_file_014.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/lightsluvr/?action=view&current=Captured_file_014.flv)

LL

harleyreefer
01/25/2010, 08:25 AM
i think not doing water changes would end up being a bad idia. I cant imagine investing is a large and expensive setup, only to neglect doing water changes on a regular basis. I have a 200 with a 110 sump that holds perhaps 50 gallons. because of the volume of rock that I have, I am not exactly sure of my total volume... I would have to drain the system dry to know for sure, and that might not be one of my best idias...
.... I simple drain two tubs of water from my display tank (siphon), right up to one of the lines made into the tubs. This leaves just enough water in my sump to be able to leave my pumps running. I then simple drag my rubbermaid can, that is filled to the line that is made in that container with my premade water, to my tank (just around the corner). I pump back into the sump with a powerhead, and the level in the DP never even drops. I think its about 30 gallons, but im not positive. A bit more than 10 percent, but i do it this way because one trash can full is exactly the same as 2 tubs full for me... Just convienient.
The first time i dump the trashcan full of saltwater on my living room carpet, I might have to modify my routine, but I guess that would be another thread :-P

monotreme_man
01/25/2010, 05:33 PM
i use a two outlet timer from lowes.
it turns on for 5mins per day.
one outlet drives a pump from teh water return part of teh sump
and it's output goes to the waste water bin (which goes into the
normal drain).
the other outlet drives a pump in the pre-mixed salt water bin;
its output is in the refugium part of the sump.

overall, this yields about a ~1.5% change daily (i have a 200gal DT).

brshriver
01/25/2010, 08:52 PM
Mine are very low tech. I have a 110 gallon tank with a 66 gallon frag tank. Both drain separately to a common 29 gallon sump. I turn off both return pumps to start. I siphon 20 gallons from the display into 5 gallon buckets cleaning detritus from the display the overflows and the sump as I go. The corals are exposed a little when I do this. I then fill the display back up pouring water straight into the diaplay and turn on its pump. Next I remove 20 gallons from the frag tank siphoning off the bare bottom of it as I go as well. I also fill it back up with 5 gallon buckets. I guess it is time to use the mag 9 mixing pump in the 44 gallon brute to pump the water back into tanks. They are very close to the brute.

I also have a 210 with a 40 gallon fuge and a 30 gallon sump. I siphon the sump water straight into the yard from this tank and fill it manually by dumping buckets into the display. It is on a different floor from my mixing trash can so it would take a lot of plumbing to fill it with a pump.

I get a lot of exercise when I change my water ;) but I actually like that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk