PDA

View Full Version : Bimaculatus Anthias

maysorum
01/06/2010, 07:46 PM
Anyone have any experience with Pseudanthias bimaculatus? Please share your experience. Many thanks!

LobsterOfJustice
01/06/2010, 07:48 PM
I've got two females mixed in with my group of lyretails. They have proven to be more boisterous than the lyretails and took to prepared foods easier.

maysorum
01/06/2010, 08:13 PM
thanks!

boisterous, how so?

LobsterOfJustice
01/06/2010, 08:45 PM
They don't really take crap. Chase each other around a bit too. Not timid.

maysorum
01/06/2010, 09:52 PM
i meant: while feeding? with other species?

how long have you had them?

LobsterOfJustice
01/06/2010, 10:18 PM
I don't really notice them instigating anything with other species. They definitely get their fair share at feeding time, right alongside everyone else. I've had them 2.5 years.

tewkes
01/06/2010, 10:37 PM
I have one male. MY LFS got two in and the other one went in their display tank and either got picked on or had a disease.

Mine is doing great. I've had it for about 2-2.5 months now. It's very active, eats everything from pellets to frozen. He and my borbonius sometimes have a showdown but nothing ever violent. Definetly doesn't take crap from anyone. I have him in a 250g with 2 bartletts, 1 borbonius, 2 tangs, 2 damsels, 2 chalk basslets, 1 blenny, 3 wrasses, and 1 lyretail hogfish.
I would like to try and add a few females but haven't seen them anywhere local. I noticed a few days ago that diver's den has 3 females for $170.

Here's mine.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/tewkes28/DSC04863.jpg

64Ivy
01/07/2010, 12:23 PM
I've had a shoal of Bimacs for quite some time and boisterous sums it up quite well. I've had them knock many a coral frag off its mount while chasing each other around the tank. Out of the 9 females I originally had, 4 became male. One was summarily killed while all three of the others now have one eye each. Nevertheless, they all display spawning behavior just about nightly. On another positive note, they seem to ignore other fishes including other Anthias and are very easy to maintain provided you give them plenty of both swimming and hiding space. They (the males) can grow to 4-5".

Oh, and mine love PE Mysis but will eat pretty much anything. Hope this helps.