PDA

View Full Version : Killing xenia on live rock

Jeff
01/06/2010, 08:44 PM
I have a weird question that I believe belongs in this forum. I am about a week away from transferring the contents of one tank into another. I have 3-4 large rocks that have some xenia on them along with some corals. I plan on Dremeling off the corals, shaking out the inverts and soaking the live rocks in something that will kill the xenia until it is dead and then placing the live into the new tank. I need some suggestions on what to use for this. I was thinking saturated kalk water or something. I want to be able to reuse this rock rather quickly but am not worried about not having it for awhile since I have plenty of live rock to use that doesnt have any xenia on it.Any ideas would be appreciated.

Western_reefer
01/06/2010, 08:46 PM
Your lucky to have some. I used to have a beautiful small forest of pink pom pom xenia until I added a Bicolor Angelfish and a Flame angelfish.... lol

driftin
01/06/2010, 08:53 PM
Fluke tabs, a small amount goes a long way. I don't know if I'll be in your part of the city anytime soon, but maybe we could meet somewhere. I know I'll be in Lakeview tomorrow evening (depending on the amount of snow we get) at Trader Joe's. I could bring you more than you'd need.

shellshocked
01/06/2010, 09:23 PM
I would simply scrub them off with a wire brush. Anything you do to kill them chemically will likely kill off any good stuff on the rock. I take the rock out of the tank scrub them off and while you have the rock out of the tank rub some kalk powder over where they were.

bertoni
01/06/2010, 09:24 PM
I'd probably just cut off the Xenia and use a bit of lime paste on their attachment points, but leaving the rock out to dry for a couple of days is likely the safest way to be absolutely sure the Xenia is dead.

Jeff
01/06/2010, 09:24 PM
Your lucky to have some. I used to have a beautiful small forest of pink pom pom xenia until I added a Bicolor Angelfish and a Flame angelfish.... lol
Lucky? I hate that stuff. I have the ugly silver stuff that waves. I dont want any in the new tank.

Fluke tabs, a small amount goes a long way. I don't know if I'll be in your part of the city anytime soon, but maybe we could meet somewhere. I know I'll be in Lakeview tomorrow evening (depending on the amount of snow we get) at Trader Joe's. I could bring you more than you'd need.
Fluke tabs will do the job? I didnt know that. I think I have some in the basement somewhere. Thanks for the tip and the offer.

quickgray02
01/06/2010, 09:42 PM
take a razor blade to them LOL

Jeff
01/07/2010, 06:28 AM
take a razor blade to them LOL
I wish that worked.