PDA

View Full Version : brazilian Chalk Basslet

twiggyb
01/06/2010, 10:06 PM
Just purchased one and an acro crab off of liveaquaria, I was wondering if anyone owns one or has heard any info on this little beauty. I've read a little about it, but I like to try and learn as much as I can about anything in my tank. Thanks!
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac292/twiggybrown/fish%20shots/basslet.png

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac292/twiggybrown/hermits%20and%20crabs%20shots/crabby.png

mikenam
01/06/2010, 10:19 PM
i have 2 chalk bass. not aggressive only show a little aggression towards each other. most of the time they are out swimming. when main light is out they like to hide in the rocks. great fishes IMO.

i had a couple acro crabs on sps colonies. never really paid to much attention to them since they are tiny.

twiggyb
01/06/2010, 10:56 PM
That's good to know, I'm getting ready to put my mccosker in there and I didn't know if it would be aggresive towards it. I don't think it'll have any problems with my clowns or gobies.

michael_cb_125
01/07/2010, 06:58 AM
I have a harem of these fish along with a harem of royal grammas in a clients tank, and they are great. Very little aggression and they form a dominance chain without too much physical aggression. I would recommend getting a few more so you can witness the unique social relationships yourself. :)

~Michael

twiggyb
01/07/2010, 07:36 AM
That would be cool to see, I don't think I'll be able to though, aren't you supposed to introduce them at the same time?

Luiz Rocha
01/07/2010, 08:44 AM
They call the fish on that photo Brazilian chalk basslet? As far as I know it doesn't occur in Brazil... Do they say where it came from?

wrasseguy2
01/07/2010, 10:05 AM
i keep two chalk bass with my flasher and fairy wrasses with no problems and had no problems with other fish.. cool little fish and i wish i had a few more

twiggyb
01/07/2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah they call it that. It just said Brazilian chalk basslet under the pic. Serranus tortugarum

Beaun
01/07/2010, 11:44 AM
My Chalk Bass was the ruler of my tank untill I put in a Cherub Angel and the bass took the second spot. It is out in the open 50% of the time and the other 50% it likes to hang out in 'its cave'. I have never had issues with new additions and aggressive behavior with him. Great little fish, eats anything and everything, and the colors are very nice in person.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/JuicyBone/New%20Camera/chalkbass.jpg

2slo4me
01/07/2010, 11:55 AM
they are great lil fish ive had 3 for about 2 yrs now. i sold 2 and kept one about 3-4 months ago... just make sure u dont get any other members of there family or they will fight.

1DeR9_3Hy
01/07/2010, 12:35 PM
I thought they were a Caribbean fish?

Nice pic btw, Beaun! Looks healthy :)

Luiz Rocha
01/07/2010, 12:45 PM

As far as I know they are a Caribbean fish. I am very interested in knowing its origin, if anybody knows the importer...

michael_cb_125
01/07/2010, 01:11 PM
We see these while spear fishing in key west.

~Michael

tm613
01/07/2010, 02:15 PM

They are Tropical Western Atlantic which most people would say is Caribbean however the TWA extends down the coast of South America near Brazil.

I say i have all Caribbean fish on my tank but techicnally it is Topical Western Atalntic

Edit: I just looke at Reef associated fishes occuring near in Brazil on fishbase.org and the Chalk Bass is not listed...hmm

tm613
01/07/2010, 02:19 PM
Also, according to the Divers Den sneak peek they will put another one up for sale tonight

twiggyb
01/07/2010, 05:00 PM
He's mine!!! Lol jp. Can't afford another one at the moment. Liveaquaria won't ship any livestock under $29.99. That's why I bought the acro crab. Ended up costin 70 for a $20 fish. Shoulda just waited till tonight

1DeR9_3Hy
01/07/2010, 06:05 PM
As far as I know they are a Caribbean fish. I am very interested in knowing its origin, if anybody knows the importer...

We see these while spear fishing in key west.

~Michael

A friend owns a local store and he was using a place in Miami to get his carribian stuff (rics, royal grammas etc...) and they were on the list every week. That place collected out of Haiti.

How good is Brazil about keeping up to date on the data? Maybe they are a invasive sp. in brazil?

twiggyb
01/07/2010, 06:51 PM
Would qt'ing two of them in a 10g be ok? As longas they're added at the same time?

tm613
01/07/2010, 07:36 PM
Would qt'ing two of them in a 10g be ok? As longas they're added at the same time?

I think no problem...

twiggyb
01/07/2010, 10:34 PM
Well since my girlfriend is such a sweetheart, she gave me the money to buy the chalk basslet from liveaquaria :) So now the first one will have a buddy, hopefully they'll get along. They called this one a brazilian chalk basslet too. I'm curious now why...

twiggyb
01/07/2010, 10:37 PM
My Chalk Bass was the ruler of my tank untill I put in a Cherub Angel and the bass took the second spot. It is out in the open 50% of the time and the other 50% it likes to hang out in 'its cave'. I have never had issues with new additions and aggressive behavior with him. Great little fish, eats anything and everything, and the colors are very nice in person.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/JuicyBone/New%20Camera/chalkbass.jpg

looks awesome, sometimes pics just don't do the fish justice. I think the colors on these fish are cool, it'll add a little bit of variety to my tank with the neon blue on them. I remember when I was young in the hobby and bought a little blue devil to get started, beautiful blue under the right lighting, ugly@** temper though.

michael_cb_125
01/08/2010, 06:47 AM
"Well since my girlfriend is such a sweetheart, she gave me the money to buy the chalk basslet from liveaquaria So now the first one will have a buddy, hopefully they'll get along. They called this one a brazilian chalk basslet too. I'm curious now why... "

Congrats on getting another one of these fish! I am sure you will enjoy them more as a pair. :)

Oh, and congrats on having am amazing girlfriend ;) Giving you fish money...... nice!

~Michael

twiggyb
01/08/2010, 08:14 AM
"Well since my girlfriend is such a sweetheart, she gave me the money to buy the chalk basslet from liveaquaria So now the first one will have a buddy, hopefully they'll get along. They called this one a brazilian chalk basslet too. I'm curious now why... "

Congrats on getting another one of these fish! I am sure you will enjoy them more as a pair. :)

Oh, and congrats on having am amazing girlfriend ;) Giving you fish money...... nice!

~Michael

lol thanks, she is one of a kind. The first fish is 1 3/4" and the second one is 2". Should be shipping out today and be here tomorrow!

twiggyb
01/08/2010, 11:09 PM
Well they left the building! They should be here by noon tomorrow. I'll post pics when they're settled in

twiggyb
01/10/2010, 08:37 PM
Ok, I got my fish yesterday, and they ate the chopped up squid block, but they're not taking flake food. They smell it and get aroused, but they don't eat it. Any suggestions on how to get them to eat it???

tm613
01/11/2010, 06:54 AM
why do you want them to eat flake food? If you want to feed a dry food try New Life Spectrum Pellets

Beaun
01/11/2010, 08:16 AM
Mysis would probably help them start to eat.

twiggyb
01/11/2010, 11:10 AM
They're already eating, just not flake, I feed flake because I can't afford to buy frozen that often, also I don't run a skimmer so I can't afford to dirty my tank that often as well. This morning I fed some brine and through some flake food in there with it, but they completely ignored the flake. Hopefully they start eating it

Beaun
01/11/2010, 12:27 PM
Try NSL pellets then, thats what I feed in addition to mysis. Mine will also eat flake on the rare occasion that I feed them some.

tm613
01/11/2010, 01:06 PM
My fish all love NLS Pellets..no need to buy frozen all the time

twiggyb
01/11/2010, 01:24 PM
thanks, I'll try that

readmeli
01/11/2010, 01:29 PM
This chart on LA shows exactly what their fish are eating. People don't realize it's there or how accurate it is. Check it out to see what your fish were eating before they came to you:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=271

LobsterOfJustice
01/11/2010, 01:35 PM
Seems like a lot to pay for this fish. And not really a fish you need to be getting from DD. I think I paid like $8 for mine from etropicals a few years back. He jumped out.

tcmfish
01/11/2010, 02:10 PM
seems like a lot to pay for this fish. And not really a fish you need to be getting from dd. I think i paid like $8 for mine from etropicals a few years back. He jumped out.

+1

twiggyb
01/11/2010, 03:11 PM
Eff Yeah it was a lot to pay, but I don't ever see these fish at my lfs'. Not saying they wouldn't order it for me, but it was more convenient for me this way, and quicker.

twiggyb
01/11/2010, 03:13 PM
This chart on LA shows exactly what their fish are eating. People don't realize it's there or how accurate it is. Check it out to see what your fish were eating before they came to you:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=271

Thanks a lot for the link! I appreciate it

twiggyb
01/17/2010, 01:20 AM
Well I've got them to start eating what I feed the other fish so all is well, here's a couple of pics
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac292/twiggybrown/fish%20shots/DSCF0680.jpg
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac292/twiggybrown/fish%20shots/DSCF0684.jpg