PDA

View Full Version : New 10gal Proj

Jerzboi
01/06/2010, 11:08 PM
Hey Guys
I am new to the site and new to saltwater, but i have been doing my research
and my roomate has been helping me out.
I got a sweet deal at Petsmart and grabbed a koraline 1 powerhead, hob filter, 10gal with glass lid, live sand, and salt bucket for $80ish

I took water out of my roomates 46gal that has been established for over a year now and got 5lbs of live rock fo $4 a pounds (fiji) with about a 1/2 pound of rubble in my filter.

The water was recently tested and the only thing is my pH is at 8.0 so i need to raise it up a little more

Today I grabbed my first SW inverts 1 blue/green and 1 scarlet red hermit
that are picking around at the 2 very small peices of established live rock.

I asked the LFS for some very small rubble for my filter an they gave me atleast a pound for free!! And these were not tiny peices lol

Here are some pics of where I stand Enjoy!

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/07/2010, 03:18 PM
Very nice. I'm actually in the process of setting up a 15 gallon in my dorm right now. I'm really liking that little crab too :-)

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 05:48 PM
Very nice. I'm actually in the process of setting up a 15 gallon in my dorm right now. I'm really liking that little crab too :-)

Thanks Dante!
So far it is going great, still trying to decide on what to put in it
2 more days my live rock should be ready to be added. It does not smell and is cleaned up really good. I just want to wait a little longer to be sure.

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/07/2010, 06:23 PM
What are you planning on doing with it? Are you gonna focus more on inverts or fish? I'm interested to see what you're gonna do with 10 gallons :-) IMO working with small volumes requires more creativity when you're cramped on space.

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 06:32 PM
yeah no kidding lol
I'd like to get two fish one itty bitty like a goby and one smaller fish that will swim more
Invert wise maybe one small shrimp and some of those small white star fish ( I'm still learning all the names, cleaner star maybe)
Also adding a couple corals (green mushroom head an small peice od starburst)

Financial Panth
01/07/2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 06:38 PM
tanks Financial Panth,
I look at that constantly, but most of the fish aren found by me
and shipping is so expensive

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/07/2010, 06:51 PM
Well what kind of active fish are you thinking of, and what's available at your LFS?

billabong08
01/07/2010, 07:03 PM
Your tank looks good! Keep us updated man!

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks a lot billabong, soon as the live rock is in I'll shot some more pics

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 07:10 PM
Well what kind of active fish are you thinking of, and what's available at your LFS?

:uzi:...had to use it, looked ballin haha

my lfs has mainly fish that belong in 20gal or bigger for the most part

Clowns (maroon, black, yellow, tomato)
Chromis (blue/green)
Tangs (yellow, blue, hippo)
Blennys (lawn mower, bi-color)
Damsels (blue)
Dartfish (purple, fire fish)
Goby (yellow watchmen, yellow clown, black clown, jester at times)
Basslet (Chalk bass)
Cardinal fish, Eels, Royal Gramma, Squirrelfish, angels, dragonets...

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/07/2010, 07:26 PM
I think you could get away with a pair of jesters, or a chalk basslet might work. It helps that they're all relatively small. Any small goby would work though, at least in terms of shrimp gobies.

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 07:29 PM
i kinda figured the gobies would be alright seein they are so small,
I'd love a chalk bass, but I want to do it right. They seem like the need decent amount of room to swim around. I'd like a fish that will swim around the tank and not sit there.
I understand most gobies chillax which is cool, but i want some movement you know

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/07/2010, 07:37 PM
Yup, I completely understand. How about some small cardinals if they come in? They won't be moving around too much but they'll usually be out in the open.

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 07:39 PM
Don they get pretty big, body wise like tall and bulky for a 10gal?
I didn think bout them a lot, they are like the tetras of the salt water world lol

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/07/2010, 07:44 PM
Bangaii and pajamas will get to a decent size, but IIRC orange-lined cardinals stay relatively small, and don't have the vertical footprint of the aforementioned.

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 07:48 PM
they only sell the pj's and the kaudrens
would like to get a emarld crab, little touch here an there of inverts that are small
emerald crab, hermits (scarlet, blue/gree), and maybe a shrimp :)

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/07/2010, 08:11 PM
Ahh, well in that case nevermind.

An emerald crab would be fine for quite some time, though just bear in mind that they become predators when they get bigger. A couple peppermints or a cleaner would be a nice touch though :-)

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 08:16 PM
you don think 2 peppers would be too much?
I do like the banded a lot though

Yeah, i saw the emerald may turn on corals or whatev if it gets hungry :\

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/07/2010, 08:20 PM
Banded shrimp get really large. I think 2 peppers would be fine in there, I kept a trio in my 15 when I had it set-up my freshman year, they were perfectly fine.

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 08:22 PM
haha i know they are awesome though
i'll have to see i guess, they do have peppers there
Still stuck on the second fish though lol

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/07/2010, 09:02 PM
Hopefully other people will chime-in here, I don't wanna feel like the only one helping out here (too much pressure!). As for a second fish, I'm a bit stumped, it's mostly up to practicality and personal preference (within reason of course).

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I mean worse comes to worse I'll settle with purple firefish or small clown and just sell it if it gets to big, unless others have other ideas :)

So will I be alright using the 65w flood light for the corals putting in 6.4w per gallon, besides maybe gettin algae?

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/07/2010, 11:25 PM
What's the temperature of the bulb? do you know what kind it is?

Jerzboi
01/07/2010, 11:36 PM
not sure on the temp
might actually be the 75w
it is a "daylight" flood light bulb from lowes
puts out 650 lumens of light output
67000k rating

Jerzboi
01/08/2010, 10:07 PM
Finally got the 6lbs of live rock cured and in the tank

here is the set up as of right now I beleive i will stick with
this set up gives the fish room to swim around the main rock
and two smaller cave type peices on the side for inverts to chill on

any feed back would be great :)

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/08/2010, 10:10 PM
Very nice! Not nearly as crowded as some of the other nanos I've seen.

Jerzboi
01/09/2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks, I don know though. Someone has alread told me I need a lot more live rock to grow a lot more bacteria which will play a key role, but I don want much more than this. I also have 3/4 of a pond of LR in my filter as well that already has the good purple bacteria all over

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/09/2010, 12:48 AM
The purple stuff is coraline algae, but the bacteria are definitely there. IME the best way to build up a good bacteria population is simply time. You don't really need that much more in your tank, considering your low bioload.

Jerzboi
01/09/2010, 10:38 AM
That is good to know then, what size cleaning crew should I have in a ten, 4 hermits, 5 snails?

Dante_JoseCuerv
01/09/2010, 01:16 PM
I don't know if I'd have that many because chances are, and IME, the crabs will usually just eat the snails. I'd say go with a couple less.

Bulldog0407
01/09/2010, 02:24 PM
Id say looking at a geometric hawk fish. They are my favorite nano fish!!!

Jerzboi
01/09/2010, 10:16 PM
Don't hawkfish tend to pick at corals or inverts?
As for the snails and hermits, I had seen empty shells for sale at a LFS
thought about buying some and puttin a couple in the tank so they avoid my snails :)

ZoomBlue
01/10/2010, 09:58 PM
I've had my 10 gallon tank setup for about 8 months now.Its looking pretty good I have to say. The hard part is keeping all the parameters in check.

Jerzboi
01/11/2010, 01:53 AM
pretty sweet, what do you have in it so far?

ZoomBlue
01/11/2010, 10:15 PM
I have Red/Pink Acans, Galaxia, Green and orange monti's, Lord of God Zoos, red chili pepper encrusting monti, rainbow monti, about 8 headed Duncans, Lettuce coral, neon green candy cane/trumpet coral, Hollywood Stunner chalice, blue shrooms, blue ricordia, Arrow crab, Harlequin shrimp, tiger pistol shrimp, sixline, orange spotted goby, cleaner shrimp, brittle star,a couple blue legged hermits and some nasarius snails.

Jerzboi
01/18/2010, 01:55 AM
Update:
Fish day was two days ago, after much thought I decided on the first two fish.
I grabbed a yellow clown goby and a green clown goby. The green clown goby is a good hider, but the yellow clown goby loves attention

Started getting some bright green alge in the silcone coreners of the tank and some light orangish/brown alge on the sand. I have been doing my water changes and mixing the sand every day
I also grabbed 3 snails, astric snail i believe

Here are some pics

laxer23
01/18/2010, 03:47 PM
the light brown algae is easy to control however the other can get out of control quickly now that you have fish it is important to maintain water quality in a tank that small it will be very easy for water quality to go bad. I would say test your water every week and you will be in good shape

ZoomBlue
02/09/2010, 08:30 AM
Its coming together and looking good.

fstar25
02/09/2010, 12:33 PM
Update:

I have been doing my water changes and mixing the sand every day

I'm new to the hobby so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you should not mix your sand at all, that you should actually leave it alone?? Doesn't the sand trap all sorts of things that can eventually build up to levels that will crash your tank if released back into the water column? Or is the point of mixing it daily to prevent that build up from ever occurring. Sorry to hijack your thread.