PDA

View Full Version : protein skimmer!`

cubsfan7667
01/07/2010, 09:41 AM
OK.. so i have a 40 gallon breeder. i got a seaclone 100 protein skimmer and its been on for about 2-3 days now there are bubble and a syclone in the midddle but there is still no foam on the top of the skimmer! Did i do something wrong or is this a bad proetein skimmer??? Its running in my sump and i know its setup correct but i dont think its skimming anything! About how long does it take to build up foam on the top??? Also i have no fish yet! i only have dried rock and red legged hermit crabs in my tank.. Could that be why nothing is building up??? thnxs! :D

thegrun
01/07/2010, 09:51 AM
Seaclone skimmers are not well thought of by most that have them. That said, you should wait at least a week for the skimmer to break in before you judge the value of the skimmer, most skimmers will not produce a consistent foam skimate until they have a chance to break in (cleaning will also temporarily reduce skimate production). It doesn't sound like there is much of a bio-load in the tank, so that will also slow down the skimmer.

Lightsluvr
01/07/2010, 09:54 AM
Seaclone skimmers are not well thought of by most that have them.

That is an understatement. You will shortly want to invest in a real skimmer. Sorry to affirm the bad news...

JME.

LL

cubsfan7667
01/07/2010, 09:57 AM
any skimmer that you guys would reccomend for my size tank?

Daimyo68
01/07/2010, 10:16 AM
Tunze Nano DOC
AquaC Remora

Give your skimmer a bit to get some build up inside, and then it will start producing skimmate. As others have mentioned the Seaclone is not a great skimmer, but in the end, it is a skimmer. Save your $$ and get a nice skimmer when you can :)

somethingphishy
01/07/2010, 10:24 AM
i have been using the dreaded seaclone for over five years...i agree it is not a good skimmer..but keep your bioload low and keep up with water changes and you will be fine

Jonny Roks
01/07/2010, 10:46 AM
go with the aqua c

threephase37
01/07/2010, 11:01 AM
Sorry bro, like me i'm affraid you wasted the money that could have been applied to a better skimmer. I had a seaclone 150 for months, it was recomended by my lfs which I don't go to anymore for several reasons this being one of them. It takes a couple of weeks to actually start skimming (break in) and since you cant adjust the water flow all you get is a very light green water in the collection cup. I did the mods you can do to the seaclones but didn't increase the performance what so ever. It will help some since it sounds like you have a light bio load, but would consider getting a better one when you increase your bio load. I made the same mistake cause I didn't know any better and trusted the lfs, I mark mine up to saltwater learning with the help/wisdom of this site.

DC_40gallon
01/07/2010, 11:02 AM
Eshopps! Great skimmer great price.

Mattmike
01/07/2010, 11:04 AM
Over the top CPR Skimmer would be great for your tank. I had one when I had a 40 gallon and it picked up a lot of stuff.

cubsfan7667
01/07/2010, 11:42 AM
ok thnxs a lot guys i just bought the skimmer like 5 days ago so ill try to get a bttr one if i can! my lfs also told me that this was a good skimmer! thnxs again!

DC_40gallon
01/07/2010, 12:23 PM
Never trust a LFS. they will try to sell you whatever they can't get rid of!

br3nt
01/07/2010, 12:29 PM
CPR's can be really good skimmers, i second, or third, that.

fufu
01/07/2010, 12:32 PM
Buy the biggest skimmer you can afford, you be due for an upgrade in the future. :D
MSX, Octo, Vertex...ATB...look in the light and equipment forum, many good reviews and recommendation.

cubsFAN
01/07/2010, 12:32 PM
check out the vertex skimmers. good reviews, good price. LETS GO CUBBIES!!!

kpl519
01/07/2010, 12:36 PM
I use an ASM skimmer I bought it used and it works great. I have also used a sea clone and I was unable to get it to produce skimmate consitantly.

Someone mentioned Eshopps, is this skimmer comparable to ASM or Octo?

Chiefsurfer
01/07/2010, 07:39 PM
I have the eshopps, love it. It looks a lot like the Octo, although mine looks a bit different, as it is a HOT skimmer.

Some quality skimmers that have regularly been suggested are eshopps, euroreef, octo, bubble magnus. The AquaC gets mixed reviews, as I have heard they are loud, and you DEFINITELY need the MaxiJet 1200 vs the rio 800. I have heard Deltec is the best of the best, but you don't need a ferrari when a Toyota will get you where you need to go comfortably.

cubsfan7667
01/07/2010, 08:00 PM
hey this might b a dumb questuion but i really new at this stuff..

I see the eshopps and super skimmer are like these big skimmers with a pump attached and stuff! if i got one of these and put them in my sump would i need to make some adjusments to my sump. my sump is 15 gal.

cubsfan7667
01/07/2010, 08:07 PM
also im thinking about getting this eshopps psk-75 in sump protein skimmer for $119 dollars off of whatafish.com

Is this a good site and skimmer plz let me know soon so i can order it thnxs!!!

Chiefsurfer
01/07/2010, 08:10 PM
you might. In-sump skimmers are generally very dependant on the water-level inside the sump. First thing to do in his process is to measure how high the water would be in your sump, in the compatment that would hold the skimmer. So you can do this by measuring the height of the baffle(s) on either side of the compartment the skimmer will be in. Once you have that depth, let us know, OR call the customer service of the ones you are considering, and tell them the height of your sump, and ask them if their skimmer will work. If not, can it be modified to work in it?

cubsfan7667
01/07/2010, 08:15 PM
the water in my sump is about 6 inch. high and there is definitely enough room like wide wise. I have like 2 feet of room tht way. wat do u think?

Chiefsurfer
01/07/2010, 08:29 PM
most skimmers want 8 inches of water height. Maybe someone can verify that you can do a pump mod and make it work, OR call whatever companies you are considering. Like call eshopps(or email) if that's what you are considering.

As to your statement before(must have perused over this before) I have heard mostly good reviews of the coralife superskimmer. In my opinion tho, you are getting more for the buck with the eshopps.

Lateralus
01/07/2010, 08:37 PM
I have the aqua c remora with the maxi-jet 1200 and have no complaints.

cubsfan7667
01/07/2010, 08:39 PM
ok thnxs yea im gonna get the eshopps psk-70 gal protein skimmer off of drsfostersmith.com for only $127 ill return the seaclone since i kno now tht its not the best skimmer