PDA

View Full Version : starting to get bubble alage

ecomdesign
01/07/2010, 06:30 PM
I went to do a water change last night and I noticed some alage on 1 of my rocks. It was hard to tell with only my atinics on but I think it was black in colour. I removed the rock it was on and gave it a scrub and rinse and put it back in the tank. I also noticed a bit of bubble algae which I removed.

I cant say its not my fault because I feel that is it. We went away to get married in ocober and afterwards we were busywith christmas. I havent kept on water changes as well as I should. I plan to combat it with an increase in water changes, running carbon in a filter sock (changing it out every 2 weeks) and feeding a little less. I might get 3-4 emerald crabs aswell.

Any other tips?

Sisterlimonpot
01/07/2010, 06:33 PM
I went to do a water change last night and I noticed some alage on 1 of my rocks. It was hard to tell with only my atinics on but I think it was black in colour. I removed the rock it was on and gave it a scrub and rinse and put it back in the tank. I also noticed a bit of bubble algae which I removed.

I cant say its not my fault because I feel that is it. We went away to get married in ocober and afterwards we were busywith christmas. I havent kept on water changes as well as I should. I plan to combat it with an increase in water changes, running carbon in a filter sock (changing it out every 2 weeks) and feeding a little less. I might get 3-4 emerald crabs aswell.

Any other tips?

Sounds like you have a good approach to attack the problem.

Where is ocober? Is it a good honeymoon spot? ;)

bertoni
01/07/2010, 06:57 PM
When I had bubble algae issues, I used nutrient control to get rid of them. The emerald crabs don't always eat them, and can become predatory. Just my experience.

ecomdesign
01/07/2010, 07:08 PM
ok, just wanted to make sure there was nothing else I could do. I've never had this problem before.

Bertoni-that is the only reason I'm trying to get away with not adding them, if I can get away with it.

Daimyo68
01/07/2010, 07:12 PM
Not sure the size of your tank, but 3-4 Emerald crabs may be a bit much. Maybe 1 or 2 would be my suggestion.

They will, as stated, become territory, and if there's no algae for them to eat, you could put your corals in danger, as they have been known to feed on them when there's nothing else for them.

I put 1 in my BC, and in about 1-2 weeks he was mostly done with cleaning up.

ecomdesign
01/08/2010, 05:45 AM
I saw a page online the other day that said to combat bubble algae I shouljd have 1 crab for every 25 gallons. I have a 90 gallon. If I do add them I will add 1 or 2 and see they can take care of it. Right now the bubble algae is not that bad. I think I have been able to pick it all out, but if it spreads, I will get them.

Jonny Roks
01/08/2010, 10:07 AM
When I had bubble algae issues, I used nutrient control to get rid of them. The emerald crabs don't always eat them, and can become predatory. Just my experience.

small alien
01/08/2010, 11:02 AM
had good luck with 1 emerald crab in a 20 when I had about 5 little green balls of bubble algae.

lordofthereef
01/08/2010, 03:41 PM
Personally I wouldn't be afraid to add emerald crabs. They are just about the easiest crab in the world to catch if you had to remove them. I have had a couple and (as long as you spot them) all you really have to do is reach in the tank with your hand and pull them out IME.

seabayaquatic
01/08/2010, 03:53 PM
I have never had any luck with emerald crabs for eliminating bubble algae. Rabbitfish, and Naso Tangs have worked best for me.