PDA

View Full Version : Apex: Feed cycle

jlenhardt
01/07/2010, 11:24 PM
I have my Apex set up to turn off my circulating pump and my chiller. My skimmer is in my refugium do I need to have it turned off also or does it matter?

kenargo
01/07/2010, 11:41 PM
It is possible that when the main pump turns off that the water level in the sump can rise, resulting in a rise in the skimmer water level causing the skimmer to flush a bunch of water out. If you don't have this issue then you don't need to turn off the skimmer.

In my case I turn off the skimmer and program it to turn on 2 minutes after feed cycle completed to give the return pump time to return the sump to the correct water level.

bhammer
01/07/2010, 11:50 PM
+1. I have about a 4" water rise in my sump which would cause the skimmer to overflow and wash out. I have mine set to come on 3 minutes after the feed cycle ends to give the sump time to recover and reach it's normal level. I also have my ATO set to be off for 5 minutes.

jlenhardt
01/08/2010, 08:59 AM
I will program my skimmer to shut down also. Thx for good advice

cali_reef
01/08/2010, 11:54 AM
Ken, Anyway to program the skimmer to remain off for a specific time in the event the feed cycle is canceled?

kenargo
01/08/2010, 12:20 PM
If feed cycle is cancelled then the time is ignored and everything cancels immediately (this is why I ended up going with a float to do this) but you might be able to adopt the Defer the on (which would not be affected by cancel) and I understand there is a feature on the list to have a second type of cancel (one that ends the feed cycle rather than cancels it) but not sure of timeline for the feature.

RussM
01/08/2010, 12:21 PM
disregard