PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about giving it a whirl...

SirusX1721
01/08/2010, 11:49 AM
I've been surfing this forum for a little while now, and thinking about getting a clam. I'm just unsure on which to get, and a few care tips would be helpful as well. This forum as been a huge help thus far in gathering information.

The tank...
30gal (24x24x12)
150w MH w/(x2) 14w T-5 Antics

I've been monitoring my parameters closely. Here is the past months averages.

pH: 8.2
Temperature: 81
Salinity: 1.025
Alkalinity: 10 dKH
Calcium: 430
Phosphate: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
I'm going to my LFS to pick up an Alkalinity & Magnesium test kit this weekend.

As for current livestock...

Green Chromis [(x4) one decided to take a leap of faith and became dog jerky]
Chalk Basslett
Yellow Watchman Goby w/Pistol Shrimp
Banggai Cardinalfish (x3)
Emerald Crab
Coral Banded Shrimp
Tonga Fighting Conch
Various Hermits and Snails

Corals are minimal at the moment. Just a few frags. Still building up...Anyway any help would be much appreciated.

moliken
01/08/2010, 03:47 PM
only ?? is how old is the tank. more than 6 months and i'd say ANY clam will work. less than that wait!

kfisc
01/08/2010, 04:34 PM
I'd agree with six months or more- even a year- to be really established enough for clams. I'd also be careful with various crab species and really watch the parameters with that size fishload.

SirusX1721
01/08/2010, 05:14 PM
The tank has been up for close to 4 months now (I'd rather wait than to be sorry later). 15-20% WC's every Monday. Like I said before; I really do watch the parameters. I want my fish to be happy, hahah (thus why they are all fatties). I spot feed and net out what is left over.

As for the hermits; they are tiny at the moment, but they are Blue Leg and Scarlets.

So I'll definitely wait longer than to let the tank establish itself, but once it does you think pretty much any clam will be okay? Also if the crabs will be a problem would an acrylic tube be good to mount the clam?

Sig45
01/08/2010, 08:29 PM
Your parameters and lighting are fine. I'm alittle concerned about your emerald crab. Is it small?
Anyone have experience with a problematic crab and their clam(s)?
If in doubt move the crab to refugium/sump.
Look at aquacultured clams such as ORA first.

SirusX1721
01/09/2010, 12:44 PM
I'm going to get rid of one of the Banggai's since two have paired off. The other has been off on it's own for a while now. As for the emerald; I've been planning on getting rid of him. He likes to pick on my Watchmen.