PDA

View Full Version : Purigen help

bruster9000
01/08/2010, 12:53 PM
I cleaned the purigen I have so that I could reuse it. This is the first time I have done this before and i cleaned the purigen with bleach and then with prime as seachem recommends. Well I know that if it smells like chlorine after the whole process is over it cannot be used, but it has a horrible smell to it. It almost smells like dead fish or something. So can someone that has done this before tell of your experience will replenishing the purigen.

lighthouze08
01/08/2010, 01:59 PM
i read about this before so i searched it up in another forum and found a guy w/ the same problem as you, all the credit goes to him. he emailed the rep and this is what they told him to do.
Here's what the rep said:

Hello,
This sounds like the de-chlorinator used is why the
Purigen smells. The de-chlorinator might contain amine
based components and with the chlorine from bleach it
sounds like they combined and now you are smelling
chloramine-which has a fishy ammonia smell. You can go
back and regenerate Purigen only using Prime to
de-chlorinate to hopefully remove the chloramine. You can
still use AquaPlus in your tank, but not for the
regeneration process.

Thank you,
Seachem Support
Tech Support

bruster9000
01/08/2010, 02:02 PM
i read about this before so i searched it up in another forum and found a guy w/ the same problem as you, all the credit goes to him. he emailed the rep and this is what they told him to do.
Here's what the rep said:

Hello,
This sounds like the de-chlorinator used is why the
Purigen smells. The de-chlorinator might contain amine
based components and with the chlorine from bleach it
sounds like they combined and now you are smelling
chloramine-which has a fishy ammonia smell. You can go
back and regenerate Purigen only using Prime to
de-chlorinate to hopefully remove the chloramine. You can
still use AquaPlus in your tank, but not for the
regeneration process.

Thank you,
Seachem Support
Tech Support

So im assuming that means that i need to put the purigen in the prime solution again for another 8 hours?

lighthouze08
01/08/2010, 07:41 PM
that's my guess

luv4paws2
01/08/2010, 09:22 PM
I used to recharge purigen until I apparantly did not get all the chlorine out and killed several sps colonies and a 10" deresa clam. Since then I just replace it every six months, cheaper than dead livestock.

bruster9000
01/08/2010, 10:33 PM
I used to recharge purigen until I apparantly did not get all the chlorine out and killed several sps colonies and a 10" deresa clam. Since then I just replace it every six months, cheaper than dead livestock.

Yeah that's what I'm starting to think. I'm to scared to put it back in my tank. How dark does the purigen actually get.

luv4paws2
01/08/2010, 10:46 PM
Somewhat tea colored.