PDA

View Full Version : T5 Lighting

drm180
01/08/2010, 02:18 PM
Hi. I recently ordered this fixture. http://www.current-usa.com/novaextremet5hox2.html Now I'm afraid it won't be enough light though. I want fish and soft corals and would really like to have a Bubble Tip Anemone. I know that anemones need a ton of light though. Will this fixture work for now? The tank is 24x16x18. I will build up the rock so the anemone can get as close to the light as possible if I can have one with this much light. I couldn't find a light higher watt light to fit my tank and my budget is rather low right now.

drm180
01/08/2010, 02:59 PM
I don't really want to go with MH because of the heat the produce. I'm not sure how much they actually prodice though. I would think they would be too intense for a 28 gallon tank anyway. I don't know though.

zachfishman
01/08/2010, 03:26 PM
You should have enough light for softies so long as you don't place them on the bottom. It is borderline though, try not to use the legs - keeping the fixture as close to the water as possible.

If you have (or could find) an old 18" or 24" fluorescent hood, the added 18-20 watts from a good old 50/50 or 10k would be beneficial and cheap.

And yes, a MH would be intense for a 28gallon, and expensive.

drm180
01/08/2010, 03:47 PM
I just found this. http://www.marineandreef.com/Satellite_2X65_24_inch_Current_USA_p/rcu01013.htm A lot more wattage but is it better than the other? I know wattage isn't everything to a light. Buying this one would depend on if I could get my money back for the other before it is shipped. How much light do I need for a BTA in my size tank?

gtfourmn
01/08/2010, 05:20 PM
If I were you, I would just get a 4 bulb fixture with individual reflectors. I don't think a 2 bulb fixture will be enough for a bta. Most 4 bulb fixtures are reasonably priced at $200 give or take.

Chiefsurfer
01/08/2010, 06:19 PM
the 2x65 watt lamp(2nd find) is a power compact flourescent light. That is not nearly as good as the t5 nova fixture you got. Anemones are not THAT light intensive(and I would wait til your tank is up for at LEAST 6 months before attempting a nem).

If you already placed the order, you already placed the order, there's not much you can do. BUT, buying the 4-bulb nova would have been MUCH better for more advanced corals AND the anemone.

One thing you CAN do, is get 1, maybe 2, single-strip t-5's or VHO, use the nova for 12k lights, and use the strip lights for actinics.

Nova's good, but wrong fixture choice. If it is already sent, not much you can do but the above.

drm180
01/08/2010, 06:33 PM
I emailed the seller (it was on ebay) and asked them to cancel my order. It hasn't been shipped even though they were supposed to ship it last Thursday. What is a good 4 bulb T5 that I can get them that isn't that expensive. The Nova is 96 watts, is that good? I will wait at least 6 months to start with the anemone as well.

drm180
01/08/2010, 07:00 PM
Nevermind that. Now that I've asked for a refund they tell me that it was shipped this morning. Oh well. I don't need the stronger lights for a while anyway right?. I can upgrade then and move this one to my freshwater tank since I'm planning to put some plants in it.