PDA

View Full Version : Outlet Program

Engine8ff
01/09/2010, 08:23 AM
Trying something different. I spiked my tank to 9.0 the other night and it freaked me out, didnt sleep, all that neat stuff of owning a tank. This is my current set up
Kalk Reactor via my ATO with a manual bypass controlled by the Apex to shut down at a ph of 8.35 to help with ph spikes, but the problem is that it doesnt allow for the sump to top off completely.
This is what I want to do. I want to add another top off pump that will come on if the top off pump going through the Kalk reactor reaches 8.5 tank ph and shut off when the float switch closes. Can this be done? This is what I was thinking of a program.

Kalk Top Off
Fallback OFF
Set to OFF
If Switch X Open Then ON
If pH >8.5 Then OFF

Fresh Water Top Off
Fallback OFF
Set to OFF ...................................With this program will the pump come on at
If Switch X Open Then ON ...............8.5 and just stay on or will it shut off when
If pH >8.5 Then ON ........................the "X" switch closes.

Would this allow my top off system to top off via the kalk reactor until a ph of 8.5 is obtained then the Fresh water top off to come on and finish the top off. I have 2 available outlets on my 2nd energy bar and it is killing me that I cant get this worked out.

Option 2: Just get a dosing pump and run the kalk reactor through the dosing pump.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

swearint
01/09/2010, 09:10 AM
No, they could both run simultaneously. The Kalk will run until either the switch closes or the ph exceeds 8.5. The freshwater will run when the switch is open or the ph exceeds 8.5, so it could run even if the switch is closed and flood. The thing to keep in mind is that the statements are evaluated in order and if the conditional portion is false, it goes to the next statement rather than switching to the opposite state. So for example, If SwitchX Open then ON, does not also mean If SwitchX Closed then OFF. Some other condition would have to change the state to OFF. Normally your use of Set OFF would accomplish this, but your pH > 8.5 would keep turning it ON whenever it is true.

This should give the desired behavior, leave the kalk outlet as is and change the freshwater to:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If SwitchX Open then ON
If Outlet Kalk = ON then OFF

That will allow the freshwater to run only when the water level is below cutoff level and the kalk is not running.

Todd

Engine8ff
01/09/2010, 10:02 AM
That sounds good. Should I also add the "If Switch X Closed Then OFF" statement to the fresh water?

swearint
01/09/2010, 11:45 AM
You could, but it would be redundant. If it makes more sense, just replace the Set OFF with it.

Todd

Engine8ff
01/09/2010, 12:46 PM
OK Thanks Todd. I will get it set up and programmed this week. Once again thanks.

Griffer
01/09/2010, 11:42 PM
Below is how I have mine programmed. I think my setup is similar to what you want to do. I have my incoming RO/DI water split to two solenoids; one for plain RO/DI water (H2O), and the other for Kalkwasser (KALK). Both are never supplied at the same time. There is an upper and lower float switch for safety. Both types of water are joined again to a common float valve in the sump. The float valve sits between the upper and lower float switch, meaning that for water to hit the top switch, something has gone drastically wrong.

(H2O)
Fallback OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
Min Time 030:00 Then OFF
If Time 17:00 to 12:00 Then OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch2 OPEN Then OFF

(KALK)
Fallback OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
Min Time 030:00 Then OFF
If Time 12:00 to 17:00 Then OFF
If Outlet KalkStirrer = ON Then OFF
Defer 010:00 Then ON
If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch2 OPEN Then OFF
If pH > 08.35 Then OFF

The MinTime statement insures that once the lower float switch opens, the solenoid can't operate again for 30 minutes. This eliminates the toggling effect from rippling water in the sump.

KALK will not be supplied while the KalkStirrer is operating (If Outlet...), or for 10 minutes after to let the slurry settle out (the DEFER statement). Other than that, I supply KALK at all times except when the Halides are on; otherwise plain RO/DI.

I know there is one potential gotcha, where if my pH were to stay above 8.35 then no ATO would happen at all most hours. But my pH never runs anywhere near 8.35, at least for long. It is usually 8.1 - 8.3.

Hope this makes sense.

Gene

Engine8ff
01/10/2010, 05:02 AM
Thanks Gene. What type of soleniods are you using. I found some at autotopoff but it seems to get real warm. Thanks for the program it actually was something I was looking at instead of running 2 pumps in the top off container.

Griffer
01/10/2010, 03:06 PM
I am using the solenoids from Autotopoff. I guess I am not sure what you mean by 'warm', so I went over and checked them. They are the same temp as the rest of the sump. That is as it should be, since they are normally closed (and the outlet is normally off :). They don't stay open for long anyway, at most less than two minutes and usually about 30 seconds even if they do get warm when powered.

They are quiet. You can hear a slight click is all.

Gene

Engine8ff
01/10/2010, 03:55 PM
OK thanks Gene maybe I just felt mine after it had been open for a little bit. Thanks for the input everyone.