PDA

View Full Version : shiny toad stool

ATM
01/09/2010, 12:33 PM
So its been a little over a week that my toad stool hasnt opened. It looks like the polyp holes are open but they are not coming out. I also see a shiny layer on half of it.

Anyone know what is wrong?

Thanks

tahoe61
01/09/2010, 12:40 PM
The shiny coating is normal for toad stools and will slough off when it begins to open. The will do this periodically and when introduced to a new tank. Decent flow will help if it is in a low flow area.

ATM
01/09/2010, 12:44 PM
its been in my tank for over 10 months now.....never seen it do that before.

how long will it be like this?

thanks

tahoe61
01/09/2010, 12:47 PM
Anywhere from days to about two weeks. How are your parameters? The toad stool looks ok in the pic, again try placement in a highter flow area. Also look for nudibranchs or anything else that may be causing stress. But it is perfectly normal for toad stools to do this.

ATM
01/09/2010, 12:51 PM
what are nudibranches? are they the tiny little polyps that appear out of no where?

I take it they arent good for the tank either as they sting other corals?

jmahfouz
01/09/2010, 12:55 PM
toadstools shed and can remain closed for weeks just leave it in one place and dont bother it

tahoe61
01/09/2010, 01:01 PM
what are nudibranches? are they the tiny little polyps that appear out of no where?

I take it they arent good for the tank either as they sting other corals? Nudibranchs are specialized eaters and some eat toad stools and other soft corals. But again your toad stools look good and this is normal for them. Nudibranchs look simlar to sea slugs and the kind that eats toad stools are usually cream to white in color and about a quarter of an inch in size if not smaller. Nudibranchs came in as hitch hikers and are usually noticed when you see them on the glass.

tahoe61
01/09/2010, 01:02 PM

I take it they arent good for the tank either as they sting other corals? Nudibranchs are specialized eaters and some eat toad stools and other soft corals. But again your toad stools look good and this is normal for them. Nudibranchs look simlar to sea slugs and the kind that eats toad stools are usually cream to white in color and about a quarter of an inch in size if not smaller. Nudibranchs come in as hitch hikers and are usually noticed when you see them on the glass.

ATM
01/09/2010, 02:52 PM
just looked up nubibranchs and I dont think I have them. Everything has been in my tank for over 10 months and nothing been added. I have a powerhead slightly directed towards the toadstool. I guess I'll have to wait it out

Thanks to all