PDA

View Full Version : PBT and ick

THP
01/09/2010, 11:54 PM
I have a PBT with signs of ick but he is now in a tank with 17 chromis and a six-line. I realize that treatment at this point would be to quarantine the fish for 6-10 weeks using copper or hypo but!!!!!!

Since my tank has LR and fish only at this point (with few exceptions) could I do hyposalinity right in the display? My initial salinity was 1.026 but is now at 1.017. Can I continue to go lower without ill issue to the LR criters? I also have 1 serpent start, 2 brittle starts, a fromia star, hermits and snails. I have no quarantine tank and no coral or clams yet. Could I pull this off and lower salinity even more without sacrificing the inverts? Any advice please.

bradjenny
01/10/2010, 12:27 AM
i have the ick problem now too i put copper in but they said cant have any invertibrates in there or they will be killed by the copper. i just have fish and live rock

KingwoodMarcia
01/10/2010, 11:43 AM
I would not, your inverts need the higher salinity. To get to a good hyposalinity you need to get down to 1.009. To low for the inverts for treatmenmt time. Check wetwebmedia or search RC on hyposalinity treatment.

Good Luck

THP
01/11/2010, 11:13 AM
I would not, your inverts need the higher salinity. To get to a good hyposalinity you need to get down to 1.009. To low for the inverts for treatmenmt time. Check wetwebmedia or search RC on hyposalinity treatment.

Good Luck

What about the LR and criters within including nitrobacter and nitrosomonas....would they biological filter be affected? I can move the inverts to quarantine but not sure about the rest of the micro inhabitants.

wooden_reefer
01/11/2010, 12:05 PM
I have a PBT with signs of ick but he is now in a tank with 17 chromis and a six-line. I realize that treatment at this point would be to quarantine the fish for 6-10 weeks using copper or hypo but!!!!!!

Since my tank has LR and fish only at this point (with few exceptions) could I do hyposalinity right in the display? My initial salinity was 1.026 but is now at 1.017. Can I continue to go lower without ill issue to the LR criters? I also have 1 serpent start, 2 brittle starts, a fromia star, hermits and snails. I have no quarantine tank and no coral or clams yet. Could I pull this off and lower salinity even more without sacrificing the inverts? Any advice please.

Hypo will kill most inverts. Even if you do not intend to save them, their dieoff will cause pollution in the tank. Hypo gradually reached does not harm nitrification bacteria, but too much ammonia for them to process may still result.

This is if your rock already has some invert lives on it. If your rock was dead before you cycle and only has bacteria you may hypo in DT.

THP
01/11/2010, 01:41 PM
What about the LR and criters within including nitrobacter and nitrosomonas....would they biological filter be affected? I can move the inverts to quarantine but not sure about the rest of the micro inhabitants.

So, a salinity of 1.017 is nowhere near what I nead then to eradicate ick. I suspect this salinity does hinder ick to some extent since most lfs will keep their fish tanks at this salinity.

wooden_reefer
01/11/2010, 02:04 PM
So, a salinity of 1.017 is nowhere near what I nead then to eradicate ick. I suspect this salinity does hinder ick to some extent since most lfs will keep their fish tanks at this salinity.

1.017 does little, may be less favorable or slows the growth of ich, and not by enough.

wooden_reefer
01/11/2010, 02:07 PM

Nitrification bacteria will acclimate slowly to hypo conditions but most inverts can't.

If you do not have sudden dieoff (if there is nothing to dieoff on the rock), you can do hypo, since ammonia will not surge due to dieoff, just from usual excretion from livestock.