PDA

View Full Version : Attaching corals

JJIM
01/10/2010, 09:48 AM
Is there a preferred glue/putty that people are using for attaching their corals? I am going to be getting some corals soon and would like to know what others are using....thanks!

Fish_wiz2
01/10/2010, 09:56 AM
Super glue gel, best there is IME but it has to be be the GEL version or else it won't work. There is a technique using it so once you have it, ask on here. Hope that helps, Wiz ;)

garygonzales
01/10/2010, 10:04 AM
+1 on the super glue gel.....just dry off surface a little put glue on and then put it back into the water....it cures pretty fast when it hits the water....

DLANDINO
01/10/2010, 10:34 AM
I use a combination of D&D 2 part coralline colored epoxy and any super glue containing cyanoacrylate as its active ingredient.

SDguy
01/10/2010, 10:36 AM
I use super glue gel + aquamend epoxy. Works every time, and doesn't kill/burn anything, and doesn't make my skimmer go nuts.

gtfourmn
01/10/2010, 10:45 AM
Super glue gel, but have been using rays reef glue recently with good success.

JJIM
01/10/2010, 11:25 AM
what about attaching corals to an existing large rock with several corals on it, or a rock that cannot be moved due to its placement in the tank? Do you take out that large rock with other corals on it and attach the new addition, or is there anther preferred method in this case? Thanks again!

SDguy
01/10/2010, 12:47 PM
what about attaching corals to an existing large rock with several corals on it, or a rock that cannot be moved due to its placement in the tank? Do you take out that large rock with other corals on it and attach the new addition, or is there anther preferred method in this case? Thanks again!

No, here is what I do....

Take small piece of epoxy and knead thoroughly together. Take frag out of water. Scrub area to be glued with metal brush, rinse, and pat dry. Scrup area on rock in tank to be glued aso with metal brush to remove all algae, detritus, etc. Add small amount of superglue gel to dry area on frag. Squish kneaded epoxy ball onto superglue. Add superglue to opposite side of epoxy ball. Place into water.... a "skin" will form over the superglue. Squish the superglue/epoxy onto the freshly cleaned area on the rock. Be sure to twist slightly to break the "skin". Hold for a few up to 30 seconds (depending on frag size). Done. :) hth

Chiefsurfer
01/10/2010, 12:56 PM
^ +1

JJIM
01/10/2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks SDGuy and everyone else, much appreciated. I am assuming these glues/epoxy's can bought anywhere?

SDguy
01/10/2010, 05:06 PM
I buy them at Home Depot, paint dept. There may be cheaper places, if you need a lot.

fishybudguy
01/10/2010, 05:49 PM
try useing deltecs 2 part epoxy it works great and will color up perfectly

SDguy
01/10/2010, 06:21 PM
and will color up perfectly

What do you mean?