PDA

View Full Version : question about lfs water

turbot
01/10/2010, 12:18 PM
I'm starting a new tank 120G with 45g sump/refug. I have an ro system for the water but I was thinking of buying some water from a local lfs's frag tank to help cycle the new tank. What percentage rate should I shoot for or is it a bad idea. Thanks Erik

Equalizer
01/10/2010, 12:22 PM
I would stay away from LFS water. Think of the transfer rate that goes in and out of that system. Just start with good LR, maybe get a cup of LS from a few local reefers and use your RO water. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

This is just my 2 cents.

turbot
01/10/2010, 12:29 PM
lol about the nothing good happens fast. Thats the truth I'm using diy rock to keeps the contaminates out. So no help from the rock. I guess I will have to find some good rock from a clean tanks and break it up and scatter in the tank to seed the Coralline.

Equalizer
01/10/2010, 12:34 PM
Look at the local forums section here on RC and you will find LR for a good price.

P-Daddy
01/10/2010, 01:00 PM
Yea, even with testing etc I don't really trust LFS water

Indymann99
01/10/2010, 06:29 PM
Established "water" doesnt help as much as people think. A cup full of sand or some cured LR is much better.

Avoid LFS water entering your tank as much as you can.

RobH
01/10/2010, 06:44 PM
I like to have an idea of what I'm putting into my system. I have no idea what the LFS puts in their water, and as far as I know if a fish is sick, they treat their whole systems. So I try my absolute best not to let any LFS water into my tank... I'm sure most LFS water is perfectly fine, but I'll pass.

sedor
01/10/2010, 06:47 PM
Most of the time the LFS is simply pulling their SW from their current system, especially if its a big box store. An RODI is one of the first things you should buy IMO. I remember when I first switched over to my own RODI I saw drastic differences in the quality of my tank.

RobH
01/10/2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah the owner of a LFS that im friends with, told me the water she sells is just water that she used to throw away when doing water changes. She said she filters it, and sells it for .50 a gallon and makes a killing off it, considering she used to throw it away.

MrsHaggis
01/10/2010, 06:55 PM
I have to do some huge water changes (30 gallons) at a time times 3 and thought about going to the LFS to get the water. Then thought again and decided to do about 4 gallons each day for the foreseeable future!!!! I don't trust my LFS to make as good water as I can at home! The last thing I want is to add extra nitrates/phosphates into my tank.

lordofthereef
01/10/2010, 07:17 PM
If you are simply wanting to buy some to get your system started, I see no issue here. If you are thinking of helping your cycle with this water, it will really do you little (probabably no) good. The majority of the bacteria we want to populate is on the rock and sand. As said above, get some good rock and you are golden.