PDA

View Full Version : New ~350 galln tank in the works!

afishfanatic
01/10/2010, 02:42 PM
I have my dream tank being built as we speak. :spin3: I should get the tank in about a month or so and I have a lot of planning to do until then. It seems the more I research into a single component of the system, the more undecisive I become. UGH! So I am hoping to get some feedback on the MANY questions I have about this project.

The tank is 96"W x 30"D x 29"H. My first question is about pumps. I am ALL about saving electricity and money for that matter. In my current 175G tanks, I do not use a chiller...only fans to cool. I would like that to be the case for this tank as well. I will not have a CL on the new system. My current thought is to use a Dart for my return and use several Vortech's for circulation. Being that this will be moslty SPS tank, will that be enough?

My next question concerns lighting. In my current setup, a 6' tank, i have (3) 400W setups using (3) Luminarc mini pendants. i would like to be able to use these 3 and not have to add a 4th setup. If I go up to larger reflectors, can I lihght my new tank adequately with just the 3 halides?

I will start there for now and look foreward to responses. Did I mention I am very excited about the new tank? :lolspin: Thanks in advance!

akwtampa
01/10/2010, 02:50 PM
Depending on how the top of your tank is set up, you could add a 4th light, and go to 250w DE lights and actually save on electricity without losing much PAR.. I currently run 3x 250 watt SE over my tank and I'm pretty happy with it, as are my corals..

210reefer
01/10/2010, 07:29 PM
Sounds awesome. I would add the 4th light, we all know the basic 2' per fixture rule for MH which is prob. why you had 3 on the 6'. So, since you are investing this much now isnt it worth adding another fixture for a few hundred bucks??

afishfanatic
01/10/2010, 09:20 PM
Sounds awesome. I would add the 4th light, we all know the basic 2' per fixture rule for MH which is prob. why you had 3 on the 6'. So, since you are investing this much now isnt it worth adding another fixture for a few hundred bucks??

Well I have no problem spending the money up front for components. I am just trying to make it as energy efficient as possible. Its the electric comany that I dont like paying. :lol:

crvz
01/12/2010, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a great setup. I think the vortechs will be a fine solution in lieu of a closed loop. Regarding the lighting; you may indeed find a better overall success with 4 250 watt bulbs on great reflectors. But, appreciating the fact that you already have some hardware, I'd use it without adding a fourth and see how it works out.