PDA

View Full Version : membrane needs replacing?

garyw68
01/10/2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Jim...quick question...how do you know when your membrane needs to be replaced. i've had the ocean wave system for over three years now and never replaced it but im still getting great water. before it hits the Di...i get a TDS reading of 1. i do have a water softener for the house so could that be the reason why? should they be replaced over a certain amount of time anyway?

thanks.

beeker
01/11/2010, 04:15 PM
i replaced all 3 of my pre filters and the Di about 3 or 4 months before doing the membrane

but i was getting 0 for a few weeks then my TDS started reading at around 50 or so and i decided it was time to replace the membrane if your getting a TDS of 50 or higher after it goes thru the Di then replace it

mine was also about 3 years old but i bought my Ro/Di unit off my brother and was unsure at the time how long he had run it before me

garyw68
01/11/2010, 09:36 PM
im always replacing the filters when its time... including the di except the membrane... never replaced it. water is a reading of TDS 1 before the DI. Just wanted to know when I should replace the membrane.

Thefilterguys
01/11/2010, 11:48 PM
When membranes go bad they either seize up and don't produce water or the RO tds starts to climb. Membranes generally last two to three years but can go much longer and a lot depends on your water chemistry. As long as your is running OK I wouldn't replace it until you start having a problem.

Jim

garyw68
01/13/2010, 08:23 PM
thanks jim