PDA

View Full Version : OK to nuke tank w/ flat worm exit?

cwegescheide
01/11/2010, 09:18 AM
I don't think there would be a problem with this but want to make sure.

Thanks,
Chris

phurst
01/11/2010, 09:57 AM
I've done it before for flatworms, and then again at much higher than recomended levels to treat zoa eating nudis. No problems at all. If you're treating for flatworms, you'll want to siphon out as many as you can before you treat. They release small ammounts of toxins when they die, and if you have a lot in your tank, it can be a problem.

Makbarracuda
01/11/2010, 09:38 PM
You are better off adding a yellow coris wrasse. They will eat them all and are not susceptible to the poison and they will keep the tank clear of them while adding new corals. plus they are really cool and add a lot of animation and color to your tank.

SIR PATRICK
01/13/2010, 12:27 AM
^ mak and phurst both have great advice on 2 different methods of treating flatworms.

You can also wait them out most of the time. The population will get to a point it surpasses carying capacity of the tank, and they die off. Happens in many cases, but not all.

I would recomend the salifert brand flatworm exit, based on my experiances.

wipe
01/13/2010, 12:04 PM
Wont it wipe out your CUC? I would be careful and double check. I would hate to possibly lose an ornamental shrimp. Verify.

NaClCrocodile
01/13/2010, 07:16 PM
Wont it wipe out your CUC? I would be careful and double check. I would hate to possibly lose an ornamental shrimp. Verify.

I used it with no ill effects to my urchin or hermits. I didn't have any shrimp in there at the time.

Another note, it's smart plan on a second dose. I didn't think I'd need it and about a week later I saw some still clinging on the glass. This time I needed ~50 drops in a 10g. I also put 10 drops in a little cup and blasted any I saw with a dropper. For safety I then sucked them back into the dropper for deposit in the concentrated cup. They are no more :fun2: