PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Plumbing Outside the House

Kilgore
01/11/2010, 11:03 AM
So does anyone else have their tanks plumbed so that the water flows outside of the house?

For me the easiest way to hook up the tanks was to just knock out some bricks and drill through the drywall and run the plumbing to the sump that way, this has led to some good things and bad things, on the good side, the cement that the pipes sit on outside stays fairly cool in the summer and I had no trouble in Louisiana with needing a cooler on a 500 gallon system.

On the down side, this winter I have had to run... 2600 watts of heaters almost constantly, along with keeping my house at 72 just to keep the tanks at about 78 degrees.

I have insulated the plumbing, and buried most of it in a flower bed, however it still isn't helping that much and I am kind of upset that I get a few $400 electric bills because of this...

Oh well, it was still cheaper then having someone come out and install all the plumbing under the house I guess?

A diagram for reference.
http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u352/Katie_T85/Pipes.png
Not quite to scale :) the tanks are right against the walls and about 30 feet apart with a kitchen and bathroom between them.

Kilgore
01/12/2010, 09:23 AM
I guess maybe this post died because I didnt ask a question, has anyone else ever done this and what have your experiences been?

dahenley
01/12/2010, 10:00 AM
many people might not reply because many people dont have a large enough tank to have a external room or sump area.

i would post this in the Large Reef Tank forums.

there are a few people that have done it and love it.

I like your screen name. (Kilgore) im actually from there (the town in Texas)

if you run your lines under ground, they wont get as cold, and they also wont be in the sun or the heat during the summer. (the ground will insulate them.) just a tip.