PDA

View Full Version : Help with show fish

bianjd
01/11/2010, 08:06 PM
Hello, i currently have a 120 gal. reef tank with two clown and a diamond goby thats it besides live rock, sand, and a few mushrooms that came on the rocks I am going wed. to a fish store near chicago and i was needing some help picking out a good show fish with personality and maybe some corals too. So would love some input.

Thanks in advance
Jeremiah

jmski333
01/11/2010, 08:16 PM
i get a lot of compliments on my yellow tang, he acclimented very well and is very active. he follows me around my bedroom.

iFrag
01/11/2010, 09:00 PM
In my 120 my show pieces are my yellow tang and purple tang (I do not recommend this.) If I had to do it again my show piece would probably be a pair of blue jaw triggers.

bianjd
01/11/2010, 09:52 PM
It is going to be a reef tank with fish are the blue jaw triggers reef safe ? I dont know too much about them I just know most triggers struggle in reef tanks well I should say corals struggle with triggers. but thanks any more ideas are welcome

sedor
01/11/2010, 09:54 PM
Blue Jaws are reef safe, but I recently finished reading a thread where a guy with a 400G was having problems with the fish literally going nuts wanting to swim so much, so i'd probably suggest skipping that one on a 120. I think a Powder Brown would go perfectly in your tank!

HOBrien
01/11/2010, 10:23 PM
I would say a tang of somesort but would add it last to the tank expecially if it is a Yellow tang

hybridazn
01/11/2010, 11:13 PM
I would say a tang of somesort but would add it last to the tank expecially if it is a Yellow tang

yea i agree with this, my yellow tang chases my pbt around every once and a while. you would think it would be the other way around haha

bianjd
01/11/2010, 11:51 PM
thats good info i like tangs but there is so many options out there its hard to chose

wayne in norway
01/12/2010, 05:22 AM
It is hard to beat a good purple tang if you want looks, personality, hardiness and not too harsh a price.

Coral beauty or other dwarf angels are also good, tho' a little less reef safe. In a 120 the combo of the purple tang and a small flame angel or a Centropyge tibicen would be hard to be beat i.m.o. IF you got a well behaved angel.

firethefish
01/12/2010, 09:43 AM
Although I do like yellow tangs, they are at best an average fish not a center piece, that's why everyone has one. I also have a 120 with a male blue jaw trigger and a powder brown tang and I would consider neither a show piece. My tank is a fowlr so I don't have to worry about reef safe fish although my blue jaw was in a reef before I broke it down. There are some angels that are reef safe with caution, I am currently researching/ looking for a scribbled angel but would also consider a nice red sea desjardini tang. Look at some of the threads about pairs of fish. There are certain species of butterflies that can be paired together and make for an interesting interaction. I chose not to get the female blue jaw because of it's lack of color and wanted to save the room for something nicer but my male has a great personality, always follows me around the tank and feeds out of my hand.

bianjd
01/12/2010, 08:03 PM
cool i will check into the butterflies pairs and the blue jaw triigers and tangs avalible thanks to everyone for your input I am going tom. and I will post pics of what i end up coming home with.

Thanks
Jeremiah

Jackri
01/12/2010, 08:12 PM
I really like my yellow belly blue hippo tang. Bought it 4 inches and took about 10 days to start eating but he was fat when I bought him and really active. Bites the turkey baster now when I go to feed.

bianjd
01/12/2010, 08:21 PM
my wife wants a hippo tang and i keep telling her a 4' 120gal. tank is not the best choice fish but she dont care like I do so can anyone tell me some good butterflies that i could pick up in pairs that are kind of hardy?

rgentry123
01/12/2010, 08:59 PM
pyramid butterflies can be done in pairs. cant speak to their hardiness, never had one but they are supposed to be reef safe as well.

bianjd
01/12/2010, 09:14 PM
I like those i will have to check into there hardiness. How long should your tank be establised before getting a CBB or a manderian? I heard more towards a yr. but not sure

Yurivd
01/12/2010, 09:25 PM
a show fish for a 120 =
long nose black tang
Gem tang
Joculator angel
Multycolor angel
tinker butterfly
There is a lot what tipe of fish do you like

Jackri
01/12/2010, 09:36 PM
I've had my yb blue hippo and yellow tank in my 4 ft 90g together over a year without problems. I agree my blue hippo could use a bigger tank but the wife factor went in huge and I don't have much for other fish -- a clown and 6 line is all so we make it work.

bianjd
01/12/2010, 10:17 PM
I like butterflies and some dwarf angels I really like alot of fish but I want some personality and bright colors anyone know about mandarins and CBB ?

bianjd
01/13/2010, 12:59 AM
anyone?

jenjen
01/13/2010, 01:24 AM
My absolute favorite fish in my tank is my Kole tang. He's not a 'spectacular' showpiece and doesn't get the initial wow's, but his personality is phenominal and I find him stunning. He's also very interactive.

My yellow tang always gets comments and while he is attractive, I find his personality less impressive.

wickedfish
01/13/2010, 02:14 AM
I have a 120 gallon reef tank as well. I have a Aust. Tusk, P-tang and a Pair of mystery wrasses and a maroon clown. No problems whats so ever. Also a diamond goby and rock blenny. I suggest the Aust. Tusk. Plenty of personality and beautiful colors. Just keep it well fed.