PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do :worried:

triguy
01/11/2010, 08:58 PM
Bought a beautiful small True Indo Rose back in December of '08. It was doing great and in February '09 it split. Then over the summer, I had some temperature problems and they took a turn for the worse. They are both still alive, but I can't seem to get them to take food. What can I do? They haven't gotten any worse since the summer, maybe a little better, but I'm still concerned.

December 08
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/good365/feb09073.jpg

Summer '09
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/good365/September2009086.jpg

Today '10
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/good365/Coral021.jpg

tahoe61
01/11/2010, 11:34 PM
What lights do you have them under? And when was the last time you changed out your bulbs? Your anemones are badly bleached and shrunken, and I am not surprised that they are not eating. Please post parameters IE: Ammonia, Ph...... If lighting is the problem and I suspect it is, you might be able to save them by upgrading your lighting.
BTAs' often split when under stress as a means of self preservation it is not necessarily a good sign.
What are you attempting to feed them? There is alot of information in the Anemone and Clownfish forum if you have not read that yet.
Others will probably want to know tank size, lighting, current and other tank inhabitants, so I would post that as well as your parameters. Good luck.

WDLV
01/12/2010, 10:32 AM
There's not a whole lot you're going to do. They tend to move into positions that give them the flow and light that they need. The only thing I can think of is that you might try adding another healthy one to the system and maybe it will provide a zooxanthellae strain that your current inhabitants require.

5Starreef
01/12/2010, 12:37 PM
Dont try to feed them. Just check the lights

It is good idea feed pemisys to your fish , the anemones will eat some floating rests.

triguy
01/12/2010, 07:03 PM
Dont try to feed them. Just check the lights

It is good idea feed pemisys to your fish , the anemones will eat some floating rests.

I had tried very small pieces of silversides, which was what I was feeding when they were healthy. PE Mysis is the only thing I currently feed for my fish, hoping some will get eaten by the anemones.

As far as lighting, I am running 4x54w T5 on Icecap ballast, and bulbs are nearing 6 months old.

I understand splitting is not always good; however, from day one, the anemone found a spot and never moved and the clone did the exact same. They were eating, growing, and always showed excellent color.

Flow in tank is a hodgepodge of mod MJ1200, 2 moded Tunze 6025, K3 and tank is mixed reef.

Will check parameters today and post later.

mstng67
01/12/2010, 09:39 PM
Try target feeding the mysis and get the tank parameters checked.

garygb
01/13/2010, 03:40 PM
I agree with the need for target feeding, try fresh mysis, table shrimp, squid, etc. Your lighting should be sufficient unless the tank is exceptionally deep. I wouldn't suggest you add another BTA as there is still likely small amounts of zooxanthellae in your anemones, and if not, in other inhabitants in the tank. Along with the parameters already mentioned, I would be curious about your nitrate level. Though anemones tolerate some nitrate, they don't appreciate it being very high. Do you run activated charcoal, chemipure or similar media?

triguy
01/13/2010, 08:01 PM
Last night I target fed some mysis and it worked. I'm pretty sure it stuck and they ate it. I also happened to pick up a pair of True Percs today to replace my Onyx that died. Hopefully they will have a positive impact on the anemones. Currently not running any carbon or other media, but recently bought a BRS reactor to run both carbon and GFO.

Water Parameters as of today:
Salifert Test Kits
Alk 9.6 dKh
Ca 390
Mg 1400
Temp. 78

API
Nitrate 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
pH 8.4