PDA

View Full Version : Dull Hammer, please help!

cmoreland
01/11/2010, 11:09 PM
I don't know what to do here, this hammer had GREEN tips back when I bought the frag and it slowly lost its luster under PC's...so I moved it to T5's about halfway up the tank and it's been several days now with no noticeable difference. Is there anything I can do to restore the neon green tips?

Thanks!

-noobie

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3118/hammers.jpg

NaClH2Opgh
01/11/2010, 11:30 PM
I had a hammer that I almost killed and lost it's color. It took over 3 months to get it back. Just be patient it will come back.

cmoreland
01/11/2010, 11:34 PM
I had a hammer that I almost killed and lost it's color. It took over 3 months to get it back. Just be patient it will come back.

Whew, that's good news at least. It's always been full and healthy looking, even has a few new baby heads...just no green tips since I've had it. Surely you don't need halides for a LITTLE bit of green eh?

NaClH2Opgh
01/11/2010, 11:41 PM
Whew, that's good news at least. It's always been full and healthy looking, even has a few new baby heads...just no green tips since I've had it. Surely you don't need halides for a LITTLE bit of green eh?

I have Metal Halides and keep mine in the front corner on the bottom where it doesn't get a ton of light or flow. T5's are plenty.

cmoreland
01/12/2010, 09:42 AM
I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I only have 2 T5's in this tank (50 gal) currently but the whole tank is really bright with the ATI reflectors and judging from the pic above I suppose you can tell I have a lot of blue in the lighting. I do plan on getting a few more T5's but I don't have the canopy for a halide.

I have 1 UVL Super Actinic and 1 UVL Actinic White 12k, should this do the trick? Surely better than the 2x24 50/50's I had it under in the 9 gallon tank?

NaClH2Opgh
01/12/2010, 12:39 PM
T5's are fine. It all depends on what you keep. They list coral either low mid or high light so if you just have low and mid light corals you'll be fine depending on what temp bulbs you have. I mean that is a 108 watts and a mix of actinic and 12k. I don't know what kind of growth or color you'll get. You should add at least 2 more bulbs. I'm not an expert on T5 color or combination so somebody else should chime in for that.