PDA

View Full Version : Chalices

Airborne
01/12/2010, 01:33 PM
I have a few Chalice Corals that are not doing the best. By this, I mean that they are not growing very fast and not coloring up the way they should. Also one is starting to receed. My water parameters are good and SPS doing well.

Tank is 120g and been set up for 3 months. I do 15% water changes every 2 weeks. I have played around with moving the chalices around and moving the light fixture up and down. I have the TEK 8 Bulb all T5's with all new bulbs.

Any idea what to do next? Do the Chalices like low light or medium or high?

I have the floowing that I would hate to lose:
Bubble Gum Monster
Jayda's Watermelon
Bazooka Joe

Thanks

mikid
01/12/2010, 02:25 PM
most chalices perfer low light and a little dirter water,do you see them extending there tenticales at night,do you feed you tank,what kind of fish load,are you feeding them enough,my nitrates flux from 10-20,chalices are growing quickly,sps some what happy,zoas happy.....i have 2x250 20k,4 act t5s,chalices low and off to one side,out of direct light and flow....

Gravesj1s
01/12/2010, 02:48 PM
If yor sps are doing well I would suspect low nutrient levels to be the culprit. Try feeding the chalices. IME, I can only attest for the bazooka joe in your case but it likes moderate current and should be a fast grower.
I have also, found the use of GFO to lower P04 and cause recession "if" it gets to low.

I use a gravel vac placed over the chalice to feed it,then fill it with some cyclopeze and mini misis for smaller eyed frags,adult brine and rgular mysis for larger eyed frags.