PDA

View Full Version : Uh-ohhhh.... A popped off lens of a CREE LED... What to use to reapply? HELP Experts!

DeathWish302
01/12/2010, 06:49 PM
In building my 12g Aquapod LED mod, I accidentally rubbed one of the lens mounted above the diode. I cleaned off the seating area, but left the material near the diode due to the fine connections. What can I use to reseal the lens on? It appears only to be some sort of silicone.

Any ideas for a fix so I don't have to trash a blue LED with no burn time on it?

:mad2::idea::blown:

stugray
01/12/2010, 06:56 PM
I have played with the lenses when they are hot and they move very easily.

I believe it is a hard shell of glass or plastic filled with a non-hardening silicone.

Maybe one of the silicone experts can tell you what silicone doesnt harden ( maybe the kind in breast implants ;-)

Stu

DeathWish302
01/12/2010, 07:11 PM
Makes sense since it was very 'jelly' like those silicone filled toys.... Uh, no really the kiddie toys!

der_wille_zur_macht
01/12/2010, 07:24 PM
I've noticed them get soft but never had one fall off.

I'd contact one of the big-name vendors (i.e. ETG, etc) and ask.

Fishbulb2
01/12/2010, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear that. I accidently broke 4 of them on my Par38 LED lamp trying to change out the optics. My heart just dropped when I saw that the lenses had been taken off of four of the LEDs. I'll be curious to know if you find a solution, but my guess is it probably won't be a good as the original.

FB