PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead

PHILYD1
01/12/2010, 07:17 PM
Just got a small power head for my 40g colum and trying to figure the best location

iwishtofish
01/12/2010, 07:21 PM
Can you take a picture of the tank so we know what we're working with? What brand/size powerhead?

PHILYD1
01/12/2010, 07:38 PM
Yea trying to figure out how

PHILYD1
01/12/2010, 07:44 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=96899&stc=1&d=1263347033

iwishtofish
01/12/2010, 09:36 PM
That's a neat tank! Did you get another powerhead in addition to the one shown, or is that it? How many GPH?

Shane Hoffman
01/12/2010, 09:51 PM
That appears to be a K2 or 3. You will find out quickly you will probably need more flow for that tank. I would keep it just how you have it. Near the top, pointing down towards the middle of the rock work.

iwishtofish
01/12/2010, 10:10 PM
I'd also recommend pointing a powerhead (maybe a smaller one just for this purpose) in a way that ensures you get good surface agitation. This will help with gas-exchange and aeration, particularly important if you don't have a sump or protein skimmer.

A skimmer would be an excellent replacement for the canister filter.

ReefSafari
01/12/2010, 10:55 PM
Thats Awsome, We have the same exact type of tank, and I am in the EXACT same situation:bigeyes: Most of the powerheads and even wavemakers seem to do really well with longer tanks, I am having the same trouble trying to figure out the best way to provide flow in my tank. We have and will get more things that like movement, while we also we have things that like less movement like mushrooms, ect. I would be very intersted to hear how your setup works, I almost feel like anything I do will create to much flow in the tank, since its more vertical than it is long. Something I didn't really think about setting this tank up, I am used to longer 55g's, ect.

Keep me posted on how you set yours up, Its hard cause your almost forced to create a "Wall" out of your live rock going up the back at a slant, So getting flow behind the live rock is a problem, and having one aiming right at your "wall" might not be the best for some things like Mushrooms and such.

Its been an interesting challenge though, here is a picture of our 40 gallon Column. Its still a work in progress, Lots of upgrades will be taking place in the next few weeks...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/safaridave/008-3.jpg