PDA

View Full Version : Setting QT tank

luckyk0505
01/12/2010, 07:06 PM
I have a 38g tank that I like to set up as QT tank

I have a small heater and small hang on back filter.

If I put water from my display tank to QT tank

and grab some filter media(sechem matrix) in my sump to put in

that small HOB filter. will this work?

andyrm66
01/12/2010, 10:14 PM
I often wonder the same thing, maybe a simply light and house fish for 30 days, maybe do a weekly water change.

mabublitz
01/13/2010, 12:45 AM
you should do a partial water change on your qt tank as well otherwise all your doing is transferring the "dirty" water from your display to the QT tank. The way I do it is fill up the QT tank with my weekly water change water from the display tank, then do a fresh water change on the qt tank. then every two weeks (depending on the QT load) sometimes one week, I'll take water out of the QT tank. Transfer water from display to QT and then add fresh water changes to both again. That way the QT tank stays close within the parameters of the display tank.

luckyk0505
01/13/2010, 01:35 PM
Do I still have to cycle the tank?

mabublitz
01/13/2010, 01:56 PM
if you take water out of your display tank, put it in your qt tank. then do a partial water change on your qt tank. you won't need to cycle your qt tank. It has all the same parameters as your display tank now.

luckyk0505
01/13/2010, 02:08 PM
is 10% water change per week is enough?

dcombs44
01/13/2010, 02:14 PM
Yes, I think so. Once, it's established, depending on what's in the QT and if/how it's being treated, Treat it like your display.

If you use water from your display and a filter medium that has been in your sump or DT for a good while, you should be fine. If there's nothing in the QT, it wont' hurt to feed it to keep the cycle going.

luckyk0505
01/13/2010, 02:29 PM
My plan is to move the water and filter media from the DT to QT. let it run for

about 2 weeks. Do you think it is ready to QT a single fish?

dcombs44
01/13/2010, 02:56 PM
I keep a sponge filter in my sump at all times. When I need to QT something, I do a water change in my display. The old display water goes into my QT, as does the sponge filter. Add a heater and a powerhead, and add whatever is being QT'd, (after acclimation). After that, I do regular water changes on the QT as I would the display.

When I add the QT'd item to the tank, I drain the QT and throw the sponge filter away. I doubt that's how everyone does it, but it works for me. Some people keep their QT tank set up all the time, but to me, it's easiest just to set it up quickly when I need it.

http://www.melevsreef.com/pest_control.html