PDA

View Full Version : Alk swing = STN from base up?

silentscream
01/12/2010, 10:05 PM
Can a daily alk swing of .75 dkh cause tissue recession on sps?

Only my acropora sp. are losing tissue from the base up.

Nanook
01/12/2010, 10:10 PM
Usually alk burn is the tips browning out.

Cultivatedcoral
01/12/2010, 10:12 PM
That usually happens if you have Ultra Low Nutrients like running zeovit or Neo Zeo and your alk goes above 8 dkh.

sanababit
01/12/2010, 10:14 PM
i havent heard of that low of a swing causing stn from the base up, i have gone thru a very bad alk swing, maybe 6dkh, it went from 6 to 12 then to 8 then back to 11 then to 6, etc, i was trying to balance alk using baking soda and a calcium reactor, long story short, my acros started dying from the base, later i balanced it out at ~9dkh, and the stn stopped, i lost 2 small colonies, but everything is back to normal now, good luck

sana

silentscream
01/12/2010, 10:29 PM
Usually alk burn is the tips browning out.

My recession is not from the tips, its the exact opposite. everytime, starts from the base

That usually happens if you have Ultra Low Nutrients like running zeovit or Neo Zeo and your alk goes above 8 dkh.

I do have, what I feel to be, a ULNS from running MB7 and vodka. But I've been using a combination of amino acids and broadcast feedings of oyster feast and frozen cyclopeeze.

Sana-
I do not have that gnarly of a swing, if my testing is right, I'm estimating my dkh to range from ~7.75 to ~8.5. I dose for ALK in the evenings.

eskymick
01/13/2010, 08:42 AM
STN from the base up is generally symptomatic of low alk. Since you're running your alk at the lower end of the acceptable range, I would question the accuracy of your alk test kit. It could very well be giving you readings higher than what the level actually is. If you can borrow someone's test kit and compare the results to yours, that might be a good start.

silentscream
01/13/2010, 10:13 AM
STN from the base up is generally symptomatic of low alk.

Thanks for the input eskymick. I've been cautious of keeping my ALK higher than 8.5 because of the vodka dosing, and I've always trusted elos kh kits to be pretty spot on. Maybe that's something to look into?

sweetnsour
06/13/2010, 12:28 PM
interesting read have you sorted out this problem yet? im having the same issues