PDA

View Full Version : Will cold water kill liverock?

Reefjunkee
01/13/2010, 06:59 AM
I have a 100 gallon rubbermaid container that is full of liverock with powerheads and heaters until I get my tank.I had to move it from one location to another and left it in the back of a moving truck WITH the ph`s and heaters.The water was maintaining its temp even though its been getting into the 20`s at night.Well,I went to check it yesterday and the extension cord I had running to the tank came loose from the wall and lost power.The water temp was cold to the touch.I plugged the cord back in.Will the bacteria completely die off due to the cold or will it be ok?Not too concerned about any photosynthetic life as it hasnt had any light on it for months.

kevantheman35
01/13/2010, 07:05 AM
you probably had a lot of organisms die off, but i think most of the bacteria is very hard to kill

sedor
01/13/2010, 07:10 AM
If you throw it back into an established tank, yes will get an ammonia spike. I left some rock in a shut down tank for a week once with no heat (keep in mind this was in a heated house so the water probably never went below 70). It was about 15 lbs, and I stupidly threw it into a 55G I had running at the time. Long story short, a week later almost everything in the tank had died.

I would just assume the rock is dead and seed it with a new piece of LR when you get it back into a tank.

Playa-1
01/13/2010, 07:24 AM
Will the bacteria completely die off due to the cold or will it be ok?
The bacteria should be fine, just plug it back in and don't give it a second thought.

Reefjunkee
01/13/2010, 08:28 AM
The bacteria is My main concern.When I set up the system I`ll wait until it does a full cycle before adding any type of livestock.I have about 100 lbs.of rock at My LFS also that will seed the rock that got cold and died off if it did in fact do that.Thanks for the input.