PDA

View Full Version : Bottom line which controller is better for on the go RKE or Apex.

zero26
01/13/2010, 11:09 AM
The thing that really matter the most to me is being able to control and view the status of my tank out and about. Steer me in the right direction.

JeF4y
01/13/2010, 11:15 AM
Apex can do it out of the box. 100% control over the aquarium as if you're standing in front of it.

In fact, I use the iPhone app to control my aquarium in the house as it's quicker than tabbing through menus and easier than grabbing a computer to do it.

I have ran a feed cycle for my pet sitter from 3500 miles away. That's pretty good IMHO...

sowellj
01/13/2010, 11:15 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711947

Here's a thread. I would ask for people that have had both ... otherwise people just 'vote' for what they have.

agold11520
01/13/2010, 11:21 AM
I bought the reefkeeper lite for my 75 gal reef. It controls my MH lights, chiller and heater with ease. The wavemaker is OK The enclosed manual SUCKS. Digital aquatics wrote the manual as if everybody would know their lingo, therefore if is very confusing. I did figure out the more simple functions with some forum help, but more advanced features such as timer use and setup is very confusing. The DA website will lead you thru setting up lights, heater, chiller and pumps easily, but a decent ( clear) instructional manual would make this unnecessary. Would I buy it again? Yeah, The price for the reefkeeper system was too good to pass up. The problem is the manual not the unit.

zero26
01/13/2010, 11:21 AM
Do you have to run the aquanotes software to be able to use the iphone app? I only have macs and aquanotes runs only on pc.

rbnice1
01/13/2010, 11:32 AM
Aquanotes is not used with apex. Apex has a bult in browser. if you can browse the internet you can browse to the apex.

Also use the search function. this has been beaten to death on both this and the filter forum.

There are 2 or 3 of us using the apex in STL you may want to see if anyone will let you come by and see there set-ups.

tbraun
01/13/2010, 11:34 AM
No. There is a seperate iPhone Aquanotes App which you can download free. The pc aquanotes version doesn't work with the Apex.

I should note that I have an Apex and have never used the RKE or RKL.

I chose the Apex since it is network ready out of the box. I also think it has a more robust feature set then the RKE.

I've had mine for a few weeks now and I love it. I start up the app to control the outlets while I'm feeding/doing water changes.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zero26
01/13/2010, 11:39 AM
Gotcha thanks guys!

acrohead500ppm
01/13/2010, 11:45 AM
i havent delt with DA or Aquadyne- but i have delt with neptune
ac3s and ac3 pros
i do not like them at all!!!! they are great tools when they are working correctly (key word here "correctly". Both these units have been out for a while and after all the upates i have downloaded on to the AC3pros they still fail-seems to be at the worst time too/when your out of town. I would never have anything that has the possibility to crash a system- dosing system, calcium reactor, etc etc.
I highly doubt the new apex will be much different redundancy wise as it is newer they havent fig. out all the bugs.
the only controllers i trust are aquamedic and tunze-I would trust millwakee more than a multi controller-but have had a few crap ot on me--- yes you need to buy each unit seperately in thios case and it can get expensive but its worth the piece of mind esp after investing thousands in your reef -not to mention the hours of hard work invested as well.

rbnice1
01/13/2010, 11:53 AM
Redundancy is not the controllers responsibility, its yours. I would never have a controller control your calcium reactor. I would have a pH controller control your reactor and have it plugged into your main controller so your main conroller can shut it down if the pH controller fails. Always have a back up. These are all pieces of electronics that can and will fail eventually.

And if you are trusting aquamedic and tunze your setting yourself up for another crash. Still electronic gear that will fail.

Look at it like that and you will be better off.

Amoore311
01/13/2010, 12:50 PM
If you want net access out of the box, the Apex is the only choice between the two.

If you don't want to control Tunze Pumps, you can actually get the Apex Lite, and save a bit more money.

zero26
01/13/2010, 01:11 PM
So the only difference between the apex lite and the apex is pump control? I really dont need that because I have a vortech. I looked at neptune's site and the only other difference I see is the Apex comes with a PH probe.

boboxx
01/13/2010, 01:13 PM
... The Profilux :P