PDA

View Full Version : Starphire really worth it????

Reefobsession
01/13/2010, 06:39 PM
I like the idea of starphire being very clear, but I worry that it scratchs easily. Almost as bad as acrylic. Is regular glass really that bad compared to starphire?

eho72
01/13/2010, 06:46 PM
I scratched the bottom of my starphire glass aquarium already by using the Kent Marine glass scrapper. The edges of the scrapper was not perfectly flat when I went away working on the algae at the bottom of the tank where the top of the sand bed is. I was totally surprise it scratches so easily. It does look great though. He's mine when I first had it.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab111/ericho72/120g%20Lee-Mar/IMG_3837.jpg

tufacody
01/13/2010, 06:55 PM
my personal experience is not like that at all. I have three tanks: starphire, low-iron (tech tank) and regular (marineland). I have found the marineland scratches the easiest.
I also had an acrylic and will NEVER do that again.

hyperfocal
01/13/2010, 06:55 PM
IMO, Starphire looks great when placed side by side with a normal tank but when it's the only tank in the room no one will ever notice a difference.

Reefobsession
01/13/2010, 06:56 PM
IMO, Starphire looks great when placed side by side with a normal tank but when it's the only tank in the room no one will ever notice a difference.

This is what I feel.

returnofsid
01/13/2010, 07:23 PM

I agree 100%. I have a Marineland DD 200, with Starphire front glass. I take a lot of pictures of my tanks, photography being my second hobby. I've never noticed a difference, even when photographing through the glass.

justurmom
01/13/2010, 07:29 PM
it does make a difference and i'd recommend it. since you'll be looking at your aquarium for quite some time, might as well have a good look at it no?