PDA

View Full Version : Need flow rate for 40W sterilizer

Ben34105
01/13/2010, 09:12 PM
My LFS lent me a 40W sterilizer to see if it could clear up some issues with my tank. They told me to run as much flow through it as I can. I don't have any paperwork on the sterilizer. I looked online and it says a max of 1,500gph.

What flow do you think I should have going through it? My tank is a 150g with 20g sump.

Thank you!

Sisterlimonpot
01/13/2010, 09:49 PM
Are you talking about a UV sterilizer? If so you want slower flow because your going to want the UV light to be in contact with the particles in the water as long as possible. I run a UV on my 72 and the pump that I use barely has enough power to over come the head pressure so the water trickles through at a slow rate. ( I really couldn't even give you a guess as to how slow the flow is but it's slow.)

curious what are the issues that you are having with your tank? I don't want to second guess your LFS but I think that you'll get better advice here.

Shane Hoffman
01/13/2010, 10:23 PM
I have an AQUA 25 watt UV sterilizer and they recommended running no more than 750gph. I am running it at about 400gph

Ben34105
01/13/2010, 10:29 PM
I had a mysterious fish die off several weeks ago and I'm preparing the tank to host fish again. They've not been able to figure out what happened and my water is starting to turn cloudy white again. They have tested all the params and want me to try the UV sterilizer to see if it's a bacterial bloom.

jdthomas24
01/13/2010, 10:35 PM
i run my UV in line with my overflow. its 40 watts. that way i dont have to have a pump and i have dual overflows so it is not to terribly fast. seems to work.

wooden_reefer
01/14/2010, 02:25 PM
My LFS lent me a 40W sterilizer to see if it could clear up some issues with my tank. They told me to run as much flow through it as I can. I don't have any paperwork on the sterilizer. I looked online and it says a max of 1,500gph.

What flow do you think I should have going through it? My tank is a 150g with 20g sump.

Thank you!

I use 7-10 gph per watt for bacterial control. Some people say that for algae control the flow can be twice that.

UV makers tend to think that a low recommended rate hurts sales.

300-400 gph for a 40 watt unit for bacterial control.