PDA

View Full Version : question about jump starting

notoriousreef
01/13/2010, 08:17 PM
I have an undulated trigger that is in need of a bigger home. He is in quite a small tank for his size, and has been for about 4 days. I took the fish from a friend that was moving, and was going to just get rid of the fish cause he did not have time for sw anymore. Any who, good news is I have a 54 corner tank that is just dieing to be set up for this fish.

My question is can I take sand,rock, and bio balls from my 14 gallon (has been running for over a year) and use this to jump start the 54 gallon so I can get the trigger out of the 20 gallon he is in. I dont want to harm him by doing this, so is this a better option then keeping him in the 20 gallon and running all new sand, rock and bio balls and wait for a true cycle on the new gear?

I hate seeing the guy in such cramped quarts, but I dont want to do him any harm. Thanks for your help.

:fish1:

notoriousreef
01/14/2010, 06:10 AM
bump?

ChadTheSpike
01/14/2010, 06:44 AM
If you add cycled LR and bio material from your smaller tank (depending on how you have the sand set up, it may be fine or may be trouble), it will not need to cycle further for the given bio load. That being said, if the trigger is more bioload than the smaller tank is capable of, you will see a smaller cycle, but it shouldnt be anything that you cant handle by large water changes if you see it.

notoriousreef
01/14/2010, 07:30 AM
Cool thank you very much for you help with this. Tomorrow night the new 54 will be set up for this guy.