PDA

View Full Version : Had something terrible happen

mitsurs01
01/13/2010, 09:25 PM
Came home today to half of my power out for about 8 hours. Luckily still had power to the powerheads but nothing else. My tank is a 125. My temp dropped to about 73 from it's usual 80. My skimmer in the sump ran dry for eight hours, but some how is still working. It and the powerheads are plugged into a different outlet. I got it all back up and running as soon as I made it home at 8 pm. The good thing is that no corals died nor did I flood. The bad a very sad thing is that I lost my blue spot puffer. I fed a little to get all the fish out so I could inspect them and found him on his side breathing very heavy and puffed up on his side in the sand. Pulled him out and put him in a qt tank where he passed on to fish heaven. My question is what can I do to prevent this again. Would a battery backup just connected to a heater and a powerhead suffice for a shorter term like 8 hours or so? What do you have in place for power backup/ outage?

jdthomas24
01/13/2010, 09:31 PM
hmm, 8 hours doesnt seem like long enough , esp since you had power heads running. That is weird. maybe the stress of the event or another fish got stressed and attacked him. any damage to him?

mitsurs01
01/13/2010, 09:35 PM
Just clipped fins. The 7 degree temp swing wouldn't do it? The fish has been in perfect shape and ate like a horse. I just saw him swimming and looking good this morning then when I got home he was in real badshape.

TWallace
01/13/2010, 10:02 PM
Temp drop from 80 to 73 would likely not harm anything. I've had it drop to 69 during an 18 hour power outage a couple years ago (it was very cold outside as well).

I use a UPS to power a Tunze nanostream as well as an air pump that automatically turns on when power is lost. So, the UPS can run the Tunze for around 12-20 hours (not sure) and when that dies, the air pump turns on and runs on D batteries for several hours.

Flipper62
01/13/2010, 11:43 PM
Well I'm also in Illinois. The thing about a temp drop..is how fast was the drop ??

A slow temp drop or a slow temp increase over a period of 8 hours can be fine.

If its a fast temp change, thats what can hurt a tank.

The weather that we have had here latley....the temp could have dropped in the room 5 / 6 deg in a hour or two

Flipper62
01/13/2010, 11:50 PM
What size tank do you have ?

One of the bad things other then the temp is water movement. Water surface movement also adds oxygen to the tank.

You can get a battery powered Air pump. It will kick on if the electricity goes out.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/flipper62_photos/SAB11-Silent-Air-Pkgs.jpg

mitsurs01
01/14/2010, 06:28 AM
Tank is a 125. Our high yesterday was only 34 degrees. My heat goes down to 60 during the day when nobody is there so I am guessing the temp dropped quickly. The thing is, this fish was perfect that morning and has been very healthy up till this happened. I have the powerheads on a different outlet so they still ran all day. Luckily had oxygen and movement in the tank, just that the heaters were not working.

mitsurs01
01/14/2010, 09:46 AM
have you ever had a power loss Flipper?

noahm
01/14/2010, 09:53 AM
Sounds like the cold/temp change just stressed him a bit more than the others. Different fish from different locations are going to handle that kind of thing differently. In retrospect, I probably would have left him in the DT as it warmed up just to not add the stress of moving/QT, but don't feel bad. Stuff happens.

widmer
01/14/2010, 09:57 AM
Yea it kind of sounds like a murder mystery to me. I can't imagine the temp drop would have had any direct effect on the fish other than maybe stressing it out just a little bit. I wonder if maybe the sudden lack of water movement skimmer etc really disrupted the bacterial landscape so there was a lot of bacterial dieoff and a resulting quick spike in ammonia or nitrites? You could test that I suppose..

mitsurs01
01/14/2010, 10:24 AM
i tested and all was perfect. I am thinking it was probably a quick drop in temp and he couldn't handle it. I have alot of rock in my DT and had to get him out for fear of him finding a hiding place to die and not being able to find him. Every other fish was perfect though, that is what was wierd and the puffer had no damage other than clamped fins. Maybe I do have a killer on the loose. I was freaked out that an 8 hour power outage could have caused this. What if it was a day power outage? I could have lost EVERYTHING. I am just hoping to come up with something to prevent that from happening.