PDA

View Full Version : Algae problems

saltwater4life1
01/13/2010, 10:13 PM
So i've been having algae problems pretty much since i upgraded 2 years ago. I'm just wondering what could be going on... I am using ro/di water and chaeto hoping to solve this problem. My ball of chaeto when i bought it was about the size of a fist it then grew bigger then a basketball but now it's about the size of a fist again... What else could be causing my problem? I just replaced my bulbs 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking about getting a phosban reactor and seeing how that goes... Any thoughts?
Edit: i also don't over feed at less IMO i hardly ever have any food wasted...
Thanks guys,
~Nick

justurmom
01/13/2010, 10:46 PM
gfo will help. how much do you feed? skimmer?

saltwater4life1
01/13/2010, 11:03 PM
Well i feed usually every other day. I only have 4 fish (2 clowns,a hippo tang, bio color blenny) about a pinch of food and if they eat it real quick then i'll add a few flakes until they stop. I have a hob octopus skimmer that i dump ever other day or so.

Frogmanx82
01/13/2010, 11:10 PM
How long are your lights on for?

saltwater4life1
01/13/2010, 11:13 PM
actinic's 9:30am-9pm, daylights 11am-8pm.

justurmom
01/14/2010, 01:49 AM
what are your water params?

saltwater4life1
01/14/2010, 08:36 AM
Well usually everything's 0, pH high 7's low 8 I'll check tonight if i get a chance. heading out of town for the day...

Frogmanx82
01/14/2010, 10:51 AM
I would cut the light cycle Actinics for 10 hours, daylights for 6, and add some moonlights for later night viewing, and have this as the long term cycle.

In the shorter term I would cut the lighting even more to get the upper hand on algae with an 8 and 4 cycle. You could even start out with a 3 day dark just to serve notice to the algae that its days are numbered.

Phosphate testing and control is the other parameter that needs to be addressed. Get a good low level test kit. I use Elos. If you are not at 0.01 ppm or less, you need some GFO to take out some phosphate.

saltwater4life1
01/14/2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks Frogman,
I will reduce the lighting tomorrow. So lets say actinics 11am-9pm ,daylights 1pm-7pm? I just picked up some moonlights so i'll hook those up. Also i left the lights off today seemed to help a tad the algae that was on the sand was turning grey. I do have a phosphate test kit but i haven't used it since i have the algae. I'm just wondering the only thing giving me phosphate would be the food?

Frogmanx82
01/14/2010, 10:37 PM
Yes, phosphate comes with the food. Some people rinse frozen foods in RODI water to get rid of as many phosphates as they can. I usually don't. At the moment I don't have an algae problem. I have a couple spots with some briopsis, but the emerald crab needs something to eat and its not spreading.

Corals don't need long hours of lighting, cutting the light cycle is the easiest way to keep algae in check. If you don't want to cut your viewing, just cutting the daylights back to a few hours a day should help. You just need to play around with it.

I have a freshwater planted tank and its amazing how the algae responds to how much light I put on the tank.

saltwater4life1
01/15/2010, 11:15 PM
Alright thanks, I haven't fed frozen for quiet awhile just flakes but the lable doesn't show how much phosphate is in it...figures
I shouldn't have a problem with cutting the lights back, I can always change it back if it goes away. Would running carbon/phosphate help in the long run or will the lights work best?

Maverick2009
01/15/2010, 11:22 PM
GFO for long run control. Shortening the light cycle will help get it into check immediately.

coralmojo
01/15/2010, 11:31 PM
Hang on, here goes...

1) Cut lights
2) Replace bulbs every 6 months
3) Sea hare/more snails/urchin/crabs
4) Increase flow in overflow with a powerhead to stir up and help remove detrius
5) Same for sump
6) Increase flow in display
7) Manual removal
8) Add zeolites
9) Dose vodka
10) dose vodka/sugar/vinegar
11) Add bacteria (MB7)
12) scrub rocks
13) GFO/carbon +/- reactor
14) better testing
15) denitrator
16) better skimmer
17) weekly water changes
18) better salt
19) biopellets

I'm done...

DrMerle:crazy1:

saltwater4life1
01/17/2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the list, Is a reactor really that far down the list? Or are they in no particular order?
I think i'll have to get a reactor because the algae seems to not wanna give up...

Frogmanx82
01/17/2010, 09:55 PM
The list must be in no particular order. You are right in thinking a reactor is your next move.