PDA

View Full Version : bleaching/white coloration

yongpanda
01/14/2010, 02:23 AM
I have no clue on what "bleaching" means. if it jsut means to just turn white or not. but i was curious as to what causes a coral to turn white. i had my system die out for a bit and a cauliflower frag i had turned white and now it's white with all the polyps extended...

any thoughts on why corals turn white? too much light? too little light?

Faisal1976us
01/14/2010, 03:34 AM
I have no clue on what "bleaching" means. if it jsut means to just turn white or not. but i was curious as to what causes a coral to turn white. i had my system die out for a bit and a cauliflower frag i had turned white and now it's white with all the polyps extended...

any thoughts on why corals turn white? too much light? too little light?

I think you corals starving ! can you tell us more about your system ?

yongpanda
01/14/2010, 07:51 PM
its not old. maybe 2 months. i seriously havnt really tested water, but seems great. haha. i know i'll get a lot of criticism. buttt anyways, i've dosed with kalkwasser but stoped 2 weeks ago. i dripped all day as a top off. my tank build can be seen in my thread.

doryrocks
01/15/2010, 12:39 AM
Bleaching is just when the zooxanthelae algae that lives within the corals die/is expelled due to stressful conditions. In your case, it could be either low or high light.

yongpanda
01/15/2010, 02:49 AM
icic. low or high, have no idea which way to go haha.
might have been stress due toa week of having someone else take care of the tank while on vacation. two fishes died, crashed, algae took over, had the sitter do kalk dosing.. possibly stress and lack of lighting.

divewsharks
01/15/2010, 05:59 PM
so to figure out what is going on, you need to test and post your water params. ALK, CA, MG, NO3 and Temp. Location of coral w/r to light and what kind of light.