PDA

View Full Version : Kalk Overdose

tony varrell
01/14/2010, 06:45 AM
I had my second Kalk OD last night in the past year and have finally accepted the fact that my method of dosing is flawed. I currently dose with a kalk stirrer thru my fresh water top off system controlled with a tunze ATO. In this latest OD we had a power outage that raised the level in my sump causing my skimmer to get out of adjustment and over skim. Because my skimmer waste is designed to exit the cup thru a wate line the sump went low causing the ATO to OD the kalk. I am looking for suggestions on how to eliminate this possibility. Thanks..

liquidlunch
01/14/2010, 07:19 AM
May be time to break the relationship between your sump level and kalk dosing. I had your same set up years ago and then bought a Litermeter for dosing. A bit pricey but worth every penny. All digital and easy to dial in the dose amount to match your evap rate.

tony varrell
01/14/2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks. So how do you get the RO water to the stirrer?

lighthouze08
01/14/2010, 07:23 AM
i thought about this when i first set up my kalk reactor, so my setup is the same as yours, accept when i run the skimmer waste line to a bottle and set the bottle on top of the sump. i drilled a hole a few inches from the top of the bottle and attach a tube from the hole i drilled into the sump. The logic is that in case if i have an overflow of the skimmer, the water would exit the skimmer through the waste line, go into the bottle, fill the bottle up to the point where i drilled the hold, then run back to the sump. I figure i would rather take some dirty water back into the system then OD on kalk, the dirty stuff came from the system anyway. i empty the bottle every few days so it won't get to the point where i drilled the hole. Skimmer overflow once and everything worked as planned.

lighthouze08
01/14/2010, 07:31 AM
Thanks. So how do you get the RO water to the stirrer?

if you do it this way, the dosing pump will create suction and suck up your RO water, so you wouldn't need a pump to pump RO from your container to the stirrer

liquidlunch
01/14/2010, 07:33 AM
check out this link, diagram A
http://www.geosreef.com/forms/kalk_instructions.pdf

exclude the float switch and check valve since the Litermeter has an "anti-siphon" feature

Chris27
01/14/2010, 08:15 AM
Another low cost alternative would be to use an aqualifter on a timer or controller in addition to your top off system. Having the aqualifter pull water from your reservoir, through the reactor and into the sump a few times a day may help out - vs. an on-demand ATO dose.

Reeflooker
01/14/2010, 09:35 AM
You should partition your sump to allow for a constant water level in the skimmer area. Your sump would need to be big enough to handle your tanks excess water volume (at power-off) with-out affecting the partitioned skimmer water level.

noahm
01/14/2010, 09:47 AM
You should partition your sump to allow for a constant water level in the skimmer area. Your sump would need to be big enough to handle your tanks excess water volume (at power-off) with-out affecting the partitioned skimmer water level.

I am pretty sure that is what he has, but the power outage caused the overall water level to rise (A lot of baffles are not nearly as high as the overall capacity of the sump at PF) which triggered the overskimming. Coupled with no power to the ATO....In a lot of set-ups, it would require a pretty large return section to accommodate the full amount of PF water without spilling back into the other sections.

75pxatr
01/14/2010, 10:49 AM
I wiped out a beautiful 75 gallon mixed reef and most of the fish due to a similar accident.

I now use a Reefkeeper 2 and the pump LITRE METER 3 that feeds the Kalk Reactor is connected to the controller with a shut off setting PH at 8.5.

To test I turned the Litre Meter 3 and the controller shut of the pump as soon as the PH hit 8.5 - problem solved.

I do not believe you should dose Kalk without a similar fail safe.

phil519
01/14/2010, 03:16 PM
I use a waste collector - shuts off the skimming if somehow by accident the skimmer goes nuts:

http://www.myreefcreations.com/Waste-Collectors

You said you had a power outtage and yet the skimmer continued to skim?

I use the same ato connected to a pm kalk reactor. Aside from a ph that hovers(+ or minus .1) around 8.5 - it works fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/14/2010, 03:19 PM
I recommend using a slow dosing pump on a float switch. So any defective call for top off by the float switch is still only met with limewater dosing that is a bit more than normal and not a big problem. :)

Joeee
01/14/2010, 03:29 PM
Maybe a 5 min delay timer on the skimmer would allow the return pump to get the level of water in the sump to where it should be before teh skimmer kicks in again.

rbnice1
01/14/2010, 04:21 PM
Here is the cheap easy way I did it. I gravity fed my stirer from the overflow or tank through the stirer into the sump. and I raqn it at a fast drip 24/7. By using tank water you limit the amount of calcium/alk your getting but it worked pretty well for the year or so I did it.

Jstdv8
01/14/2010, 04:31 PM
I am pretty sure that is what he has, but the power outage caused the overall water level to rise (A lot of baffles are not nearly as high as the overall capacity of the sump at PF) which triggered the overskimming. Coupled with no power to the ATO....In a lot of set-ups, it would require a pretty large return section to accommodate the full amount of PF water without spilling back into the other sections.

I keep all of my levels fairly low. waterfall from overflow/skimmer box and anotehr waterfallf rom the fuge to the sump pump box. this enables you to have a power outage without going above the levels of the skimmer box even if you don't have an anti siphon for your return line (I don't)
the only downside to this is that you don't get all of the volume that you might doing it the other way, but you have saftey checks from every angle except losing siphon on the overflow in the DT.

this is a pic before I got the sand and the cheato for the sump. looks a bit different now in the fuge, but the water levels are the same.

golfish
01/14/2010, 04:43 PM
I recommend using a slow dosing pump on a float switch. So any defective call for top off by the float switch is still only met with limewater dosing that is a bit more than normal and not a big problem. :)

That's what I've been doing for years...I use an old Liter Meter and have it set to a little more then evap..

You could use some kind of valve to slow down the output line from your ATO pump to a slow drip.

Amipro
01/14/2010, 04:49 PM
What if you put a float switch on the skimmer? That way when the power came back on, the skimmer would not start until the water level was at the proper depth. You could keep the rest of the system in tact and it would be relatively low cost and simple to implement.

cakemanPA
01/14/2010, 05:56 PM
An auto shutoff waste collector is a good cheap solution. When I was dosing Kalk with the same type setup as you have. My safety was the shutoff on the waste collector.