PDA

View Full Version : Coral wars

agold11520
01/14/2010, 01:01 PM
I have some Huge red mushrooms. Lately I noticed a pulsing xenia which the mushroom touched looking shabby. Last night when the mushroom was shriveled for the night, a colony of canycanes were open and feeding. When I came home today, most of the candycane colony had desolved. I just got thru fragging the few surviving heads and placed them on the sand bottom well away from anything. Has anybody had similar experiences with mushrooms? All other corals are fine including torch, frogspawn , montiporas and acros. The only thing touching the candys were the Mushrooms.

IslandCrow
01/14/2010, 01:52 PM
I've found some mushrooms can be very "aggressive". I have to be very careful about keeping most of my corallimorpharians away from my zoanthids. Some seem to be more of a problem than others, and different corals certainly have different levels of tolerance towards them. It sounds to me like your diagnosis is probably correct and the mushrooms were the problem. Hopefully your corals recover now that they've been moved away from the mushrooms.