PDA

View Full Version : stung by rabbit fish?


gusmanda
01/14/2010, 04:41 PM
Anyone out there been stung by a rabbitfish? If so, what measures did you take to control the poison? You would think LFS's would know but doesn't seem to be the case.

Elan L.
01/14/2010, 05:00 PM
my rabbitfish has never stung me and i actually play with it. he loves being petted lol!

Chipie
01/14/2010, 05:05 PM
A guy at our lfs just got stung by one and don't laugh, he pee'd on the wound and the pain stopped.
http://www.arrg.ca/showthread.php?tid=6704

gusmanda
01/14/2010, 05:58 PM
A guy at our lfs just got stung by one and don't laugh, he pee'd on the wound and the pain stopped.
http://www.arrg.ca/showthread.php?tid=6704

is the poison pretty much the same on a foxface and a rabbitfish?

gusmanda
01/14/2010, 05:59 PM
Any doctors out there wanna give an opinion on the matter? I've heard pee and vinegar will do the trick.

_NaNo_
01/14/2010, 06:08 PM
ive been stung by a baby stingray while fishing i know its not a rabbitfish or foxface but im sure the pain is horrible. very very very very hot water started to take the pain away in about 10 minutes for me. and my foot all the way up to my hip was in horrible pain. i would suggest very hot water

-RYknow
01/14/2010, 06:16 PM
I know this might not be relevant, but when my sister was stung by a Jelly Fish, she was told to pee on it. Although the pain continued, it was much more tolerable.

-RYknow

Shane Hoffman
01/14/2010, 06:27 PM
I have two 8 inch fox faces and one 10 inch orange spot rabbit fish in my 150 and have never been stung. The orange spot is skiddish and very jumpy, I try and stay away from him. If my hand gets anywhere near him he makes a bee line for the surface and hits the canopy . It actually makes quite the noise when he does it. The one spot fox face pair love attention and swimm near my hands all the time.

golfish
01/14/2010, 06:27 PM
I've heard pee and vinegar will do the trick.

Unless you got stung in the mouth I'd try it

gusmanda
01/14/2010, 07:01 PM
Unless you got stung in the mouth I'd try it

LOL, good point!

nevertheless, I'd rather know what to do before getting the fish, don't want to put myself in a situation where I'm having to experiment on how to stop the pain.

rxx2
01/14/2010, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure the rabbitfish venom is heat labile. Immersion of the affected area in hot water up to 114 F (45 C) for 30-45 minutes should help with the pain.

greenbean36191
01/14/2010, 07:43 PM
Yep, the treatment for rabbitfish is hot water.

Generally peeing on stings isn't advised unless you just want to play a joke on someone. There's nothing special about pee that will make them feel any better than just leaving the sting alone for a few minutes. It doesn't neutralize the toxin and in the case of cnidarian stings it doesn't prevent any more cells from firing off.

Jim96SC2
01/14/2010, 07:58 PM
Treatment for most natural toxins is water as hot as you can get it. They are usually protein based IIRC.

iwishtofish
01/14/2010, 08:07 PM
Unless you got stung in the mouth I'd try it

I suppose some people might get that affectionate with their fish...:rolleye1:

bhammer
01/14/2010, 08:14 PM
Fish sting me; pee on the sting... Hmm, I think I'd pull that sucker out and pee on the darn fish. :spin3:

I have a Orange Spot and Fox Face. the OS hides so no chance of him but the Fox likes to investigate so I try to stay clear of him.

Like other's have said, hot water is best and / or one of those heat packs works as well.

rxx2
01/14/2010, 08:19 PM
Vinegar is generally accepted as the treatment to inactivate Cnidarian (jellyfish) nematocysts.

Most fish venoms are protein based and are broken down by heat. In general you don't want to use water hotter than 114 as scalding can occur. For some fish toxins there are antivenins but I don't think they are widely available in US emergency departments.

gusmanda
01/14/2010, 10:20 PM
looks like unless there's an allergic reaction, there's really no reason why not to get the fish then.

electrokate
02/19/2010, 09:32 AM
there can be some pretty nasty infections after a rabbitfish sting though... vibrio for me, staph for a friend. Use care with any spiny fish, or sharp liverock for that matter. These are going to be rare occurrences of course.

Tomaric
02/19/2010, 09:57 AM
Ware gloves when in the tank... Kind of like seatbelts

Beaun
02/19/2010, 09:59 AM
Use white vinigar instead of pee, it will work much better. In fact, a lot of times, pee wont work very well at all.

gusmanda
02/19/2010, 02:53 PM
asked around a bunch, apparently hot water is the best option for rabbitfish stings.

lordofthereef
02/19/2010, 03:13 PM
I like all the random, mostly incorrect, bits of advice in this thread. I think I am going to start bottling urine and selling it as a cure-all remedy.

wooden_reefer
02/19/2010, 03:23 PM
I have been stung by a relative of the rabbit fish many times when I went fishing.

Hurts very much for a while.

OceanDweller
08/03/2011, 01:32 AM
Best treatement I have found for jellyfish stings "I have probably been stung more than 500 times" is staying in the water. That is unless there are a ton of jellyfish in the water.

Reasoning, the nematocysts act like bee stingers and if you keep the sting moving I think it washes away any that are not latched on. Salt water also helps to heal wounds. Last thing you want to do is rub them in/rub sand on it. Vinegar seems nice but I think its more of a placebo. Cuts and wounds also heal a lot faster in salt water.

Netofficer3710
08/03/2011, 02:19 AM
You should just lie back and accept it.
Your probably going to die...

I call dibs on his tanks and equipment!

Lynnmw1208
08/03/2011, 10:16 AM
I haven't gotten stung by one of these guys but instead a cory catfish when I worked at a fish store... Yes they sting... and yes it hurts!! hot water helped with this as well! for years this never happened to me until one day I touched a pectoral fin when i was flipping the net into the specimen dish for a customer... had to hold back the pain in order to not scare the customer!

sanchoy
08/03/2011, 01:06 PM
Yep... Vinegar rather then pee.. Same for jelly fish.. A buddy of mine got stung by a jelly a few days ago.. We tricked him into peeing on his leg.. ...

Then later told him vinegar is the better solution.. If none, is available we used sun oil..

plasmacon
08/03/2011, 01:43 PM
Ready to go to market... "PeeRx". It's a wonderful dip for fish and inverts alike. Simply add 1 tsp per gallon of tank water, dip for ten seconds, and repeat with a fresh solution.

Supply may be limited currently as I am building and bottling my inventory. Reserve your supply today and buy one, get one free...:lol2: