PDA

View Full Version : Brown Slime

Sunken3
01/14/2010, 09:39 PM
I know this is not a new topic but I can't find the right answer out here...

I have this brown slimy floaty crud with bubbles in my tank,and it consuming my tank., I siphon it off as best I can to only have it return in a day or two. I've tried algaecide, red slime remover, etc.. nothing works. Anyone know of a cure (besides of course the few I've read about trhowing away the coral, bleaching and drying the rocks, etc)..

Thanks!

Flipper62
01/14/2010, 10:01 PM
It sounds like Dinoflagellates.

How long has the tank been running ?

Flipper62
01/14/2010, 10:05 PM
If it is Dinoflagellates, you can raise the PH up to around 8.4 / 8.5...But that can hurt some things in the tank

Keep sucking it up with a turkey baster and get it out. Then do small 3 to 4 % water changes every few days. It will take a couple of weeks, but it will go away.

Jo5h
01/14/2010, 10:07 PM
red slime remover works really well. also i believe Blue Life makes another type of slime algae remover. but either way i have had experience with both and they both work pretty good, simple procedure too. i would give them a try! one small box treats up to 1000 gallons i believe.

Flipper62
01/14/2010, 10:18 PM
red slime remover works really well. also i believe Blue Life makes another type of slime algae remover. but either way i have had experience with both and they both work pretty good, simple procedure too. i would give them a try! one small box treats up to 1000 gallons i believe.

Any Chemical like red slime remover is just a Band-Aid to the problem. If it is CyanoBacteria....it will just come right back unless you fix what is causing it.

A natural fix is always the best.

Here is a great article on CyanoBacteria.

http://netclub.athiel.com/cyano/cyanos2.htm

Jo5h
01/14/2010, 10:31 PM
your absolutely right. but i think that if he uses the chemical as well as doing his water changes and vacuuming he will do a lot more damage and probably take care of the algae in a more timely mannor. and im sure it would slow down the algae growth tremendously which would make it so he didnt have to vacuum every day or 2. which cant hurt. but you are correct a natural approach is always the best.

Sunken3
01/14/2010, 10:42 PM
I've been running the tank for years and the problem is somewhat recent (probably from lax care taking lately), i did have a little cyano in the tank also and dumped 2 bottles of red slime powder in (48 hours apart).. and have now been treating with Algaefix Marine.. and siphoning.. planning on a water change tomorrow. Any idea what causes it, or what feeds it? thanks.

Jo5h
01/14/2010, 10:48 PM
all of your answers are in the article that the flipper person sent you i scanned it and its pretty detailed information right there. but probably over feeding. especially if your feeding flake food.

Jo5h
01/14/2010, 10:49 PM
oh i didnt catch that you have been running it for years. then scratch the over feeding and flake part.

Sunken3
01/14/2010, 10:56 PM
oh i wouldn't sratch that.. i'm probably overfeeding :). I'm guessing it has to be a mix of the direct feeding and lighting that is the issue.. why I say this is because I have 3 tanks and two large sumps all plumbed together, but only the main tank (with the most lighting has the issue) - meaning that the undisolved food in the water isn't dirtying the water enough for the rest of the system...just the tank i feed (a little strange).

Flipper62
01/14/2010, 11:04 PM
How much are you feeding ??

You only need to feed enough food that the fish can eat in a 5 minute period. You should only feed them 1 time during the day....NOT once in the morning and once at night.

Also, you dont need to feed them every day. I only feed them every 2 days.

Fish are like little piggys......They will eat 24/7 if you keep dumping food in there

Jo5h
01/14/2010, 11:04 PM
that would make sense. what type of food do you feed, just out of curiosity?

Sunken3
01/14/2010, 11:31 PM
i feed a variety over the week... silver sides to my puffer and wrasse (banished to my sump - don't feel bad it's about 150 gallons in size) - the main tank gets sinking pellets, frozen brine and mysis, coral frenzy and cyclopeeze and the occasional DTs phyto.. plus of course romaine lettuce... a little every day or two.. but yes.. i know too much...

Nadzchris
01/15/2010, 09:15 AM
i think you have a over abundance of nitrate, i have had a similer problem in the last coulple of months

z34fiend
01/15/2010, 09:22 AM
How old are your bulbs? I always seem to get an algae bloom when my bulbs are spent.

Sunken3
01/15/2010, 10:51 AM
I've had nitrate issues in the past so I bought and use a Korallin biodenitrator (works very well).. i run an 8xT5 setup and one 250w 20K MH...the bulbs are all about 5 months old