PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my tank?

Kingumar
01/15/2010, 12:45 AM
Okay guys!! Well...
I have a 55gal reef setup.. got into the hobby Dec o8, so about a year in it.
I am thinking about upgrading to a 110gal. Might be bigger, might be a little smaller, but i am definitely planning on upgrading.

My problem/question is, how do i go about doing this?

I have to replace the space for my 55gal with my 110gal cuz thats the only place that my tank can go. My 55gal is fully stocked with corals, fish etc.
So basically i am gonna end up selling my 55gal tank and having just 1 tank, which is the 110gal+sump, etc.

Where do i start? Do i buy the 110g b4 hand? I really want to keep my liverock.. some of my corals and definitely want to keep my fish.

Do i have to get new live sand? New water?
Am i going to have to wait several months for water to cycle?

Any advice and suggestions?

Jo5h
01/15/2010, 12:49 AM
if you switch over as much as you can into the 110, you will not only save alot of money but get you tank off to a great start (cycle wise). but you will surely need more live sand. a 55 only being 4 ft long and a little over a ft wide is a lot smaller than the 125 gallon. i belive standard 125;s are 6 feet and 18 inches wide but do not quote me on that one.

Kingumar
01/15/2010, 11:40 AM
ty for the info! i am planning to keep as much as i can
anyone else?

zojro
01/15/2010, 01:39 PM
I am grappling with a similar issue, maybe we can help each other. The issue I am having is how to store fish and corals for several days, mainly lighting the corals. Here is why I am thinking a change over may take a few days:

Mix the salt in the tank? If so I know that it will need probably 24hrs or more to come up to temp. and for the salt to stabilize. The last time I mixed new tank water in the tank it left a hazy mess that was a hassle to clean.

Adding Sand? I will have to add sand too but even with alot of rinsing it may take more than a day for the dust cloud to settle. My last tank took 4 days to clear even with loads of filter floss, filter socks and the skimmer running.

I am curious if you are dealing with same concerns and how.