PDA

View Full Version : Weighting for double AL80's

tgreene
01/15/2010, 08:51 AM
Weighting for double AL80's

Simple question really for those of you diving doubles; what's the best method for weighting the rig..? In looking around, I have seen the v-weights would appears to be about the same thing as my STA-weight.

-Tim

corigan
01/15/2010, 09:03 AM
V-weights are basically the same thing as an STA-Weight. I had a guy make me a 12 lb plate and a v-weight an that basically takes care of the weighting for me when I am diving double AL80's (depending on my suit). I have dove double 80's with no extra weight than the plate when I am just in a skin. How heavy of a plate are you using? What are you planning on diving them in? How far off are you on weight when they are at the 500 psi mark? Some people will use real heavy tank bands also to add a little weight back there. I should also add that I mostly dive freshwater when I am in doubles. so of course it requires less weight.

tgreene
01/15/2010, 09:42 AM
I'll primarily be diving fresh.

I'll be using a #6 stainless plate.

I'll more often that not be diving in either a 5mil, a 5mil + a 5mil hooded vest, or a dry suit if I'm ever able to one.

I don't have the doubles rig yet, but certainly hope to have one within a week or two.

FWIW: I'm 5'9, weight around #165, and have a dense bone structure with very heavy legs.

-Tim

David P
01/17/2010, 11:19 AM
ok, Ill assume you know what your proper weighting is in a single tank setup right?
Standard al80 are ~5lbs buoyant so add another 5lbs for the new tank. Now I will advise highland mills bands.. (I dive salt water so my numbers will be slightly off) theyre about 2 lbs neg, a second 1st stage another 2 lbs, the manifold (halcyon or thermo) 3 lbs neg... When I first started doubles I picked up a 12(?)lb V weight, went out and discovered Im way to heavy. I chopped off the longer side (outside of the bolt hole) still to heavy... ditched the v weight and stuck in some soft weights sandwiched between the tanks and back plate.... still too heavy. finally discovered double 120 steels, standard tech setup (SS back plate, thermo manifold, apeks regs, canister light, snap bolts on everything....) I need no weight at all.

tgreene
01/17/2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks. :)

SeaJayInSC
01/18/2010, 10:52 PM
Yep, ditto here. :)

Try the rig plain with what you've got. Based on what I see, you might need only 2-4 pounds. As you know, I like to thread a couple of weights right onto my rig, if I need them at all.

Optionally, there are some places that sell stainless backplates that are worth 8 pounds, 10 pounds, and 12 pounds (they're just thicker)... And, of course, they put the weight closer to your center of buoyancy, which is your lungs.

...But I think you're going to find that in a set of doubles with a manifold and bands, that your weighting is slightly head-heavy and butt-light... That is, I think you'll find that, even with perfect weighting, you're going to need to move your weighting down a bit over what you're accustomed to.

...And the easiest way I know to do that is to thread a couple of pounds on your harness. :)

Of course, now will be the right time to tell you that Jet fins are about a pound or two negative in the water... :) So if you find yourself thinking "ankle weights," consider a set of Jets first - same idea, but without the strokiness, without the additional gear, and... You can backward kick. :)

Of course, to justify that, you're going to have to wear out your Slingshots - time to get in the water! :)