PDA

View Full Version : DIY Sump Question

Shock130
01/15/2010, 11:23 AM
Well, I made my first sump. its a 20L with 9" baffles (Skimmer>Fuge>Return). Anyways, I have the plumbing dry fitted. My siphon breaks when the power cuts off. I have about 1.5 gallons before my sump overflows when the power shuts off, will I be ok? Only thing I can think of doing is cutting my last baffle down to 8 inches, that will lower my fuge and return section an inch and would probably add at least a gallon of water to my emergency.

My tank is a 50b with beanimals overflow.

hebygb
01/15/2010, 11:55 AM
Not a lot of room to spare, however, you should never exceed that volume anyway. Did you test with the skimmer in, because that will add some additional water to your sump when the skimmer drains.

I agreee that you can shorten the baffle going to return. I would think you would want to so that on restart, your return pump doesnt run dry waiting for water to fill the display.

Shock130
01/15/2010, 12:20 PM
I have tried with skimmer, I was also thinking, I can drill the sump, and put an elbow facing up on the bulkhead just below the rim of the tank so incase something did go wrong, I would have an emergency drain tied into the house plumbing.

I do have another piece of acrylic cut to size, that i can just shave off an inch and silicone it in place of the other one, rather than trying to dremel an inch off of it

drparker
01/15/2010, 12:36 PM
Let the tank and skimmer fully drain into the sump. Now put additional water in the sump to fill it to the top. Turn on all pumps and let run for a while. Now mark the water level in the sump with a Sharpie. This is your fail-safe level. As long as the water in the running sump is never over this line you will not have a flood during a power loss or other such event.

hebygb
01/15/2010, 01:04 PM
Thats a great tip drparker.